Second Chances: Lead To Regret

PaulaRae99
Second Chances: Lead to regret
“Sometimes giving someone a second chance is like giving them an extra bullet for their gun because they missed you the first time” (Anonymous). You never know what is going to happen if you give someone a second chance.
Before you do, think about it first. Think about what’s going to happen if you do. Think about how long it will take you to forgive him or her, too. Most of all, think about if the person is really worth the second chance.
I wish I would have taken that time to think before I gave people second chances. If I would have taken that time to think, then maybe I would like myself more. Maybe I wouldn’t have gotten so used to that feeling in my stomach of regret. Taking that time to think about my decision before I made it,might have made my life easier.
I used to believe in second chances when I was younger, but now I don’t. It’s hard for me to believe in something that has led me to so much pain. Even with the people that might actually deserve second chances, I can’t do it. I don’t want to feel anymore pain. I don’t want to have the feeling of regret always weighing on my shoulders, waiting to drop at any moment.
I admit I have given a couple people more than second chances. To those people I gave almost ten chances, or even more. I believed their apologies. I believed the kind things they said to me. Every single time I thought it was going to be different; I thought I wasn’t going to get hurt. I thought that I wouldn't have to regret anything. Although deep inside, somewhere, I knew. I knew that something was going to happen--that they were going to mess up and ask for another chance--but I chose to ignore the feeling and bury it even deeper.
Sadly, there is one person who has caused me the most pain over allowing a second--more like a million--chance. Giving her so many chances has lead me to being use to the feeling of sadness. I lost count over the years, of how many chances I gave her. Every one of those chances that I gave her always lead to regret. Always lead to me being so hurt that I really believed I didn’t deserve to be alive. The first person that taught what pain feels like is the person that gave birth to me. My mother.
I rarely give out second chances anymore, Unless I 100% believe they are worth it.After so long of telling people yes they can have a second chance, I finally am saying no. I no longer have the feeling of regret always following me everywhere I go. So when people ask me if I believe in second chances I say, ‘ I use to believe in it, but I don’t anymore.’