How to Beat Exam Anxiety

vivien.smith.9862

Most students know that feeling: even if you are ready for the test completely, you sit down to take it and feel butterflies in your stomach. Your thoughts become messy. You take a pen in your head, and your mind seems to be completely blank.
Everyone becomes anxious before a test. Some anxiety helps to focus, but too much of it results in poor outcomes. If you think that you may have an exam anxiety, you are not alone, it affects even more students than you think. I will help you to feel more confident on your next exam.
What are the reasons?
Determining the reasons for your anxiety will help you to find the best way to cope with it. If you are a person who fears to fail, obviously your anxiety appears because you have high expectations and afraid of showing low results. Sometimes this can motivate you to do your best and improve your score, but more often it causes anxiety that paralyzes your mind.
If you are thinking, “If I fail this exam, my overall grade will suffer, that will low my GPA, I will not be one of the candidates for a graduate of my dream and I will end up sitting on the coach in front of TV set at my parents’ home forever,” then you probably have a fear of failure.
Moreover, a negative experience from the past can leave bad associations and cause strong anxiety about future tests. This anxiety can be an attempt of your brain to avoid more traumas by blocking the similar situation.
The final reason is your unpreparedness. If you think that you lack a single night to prepare better, of course, you will feel anxious. As a rule, students feel more anxiety when they have to take an exam the next day they were preparing to it. Feeling unready may not objective if you were studying hard and still feel that it was not enough, but if you feel this before every exam, your study skills might be low.
What to do?
• Sleep enough
Practice good sleeping habits. Get at least 8 hours of sleep, especially before the exam. Staying awake and studying all night long will leave you tired next morning and you will drink your Red Bull or strong coffee… but caffeinated drinks worsen anxiety!
• Healthy nutrition
Fuel your brain and body with healthy foods. Eat before you study, but stop on low-fat snacks like yoghurt, chicken or mozzarella cheese. These snacks will give you a boost of energy and will keep you healthy. In addition, drink more pure water to avoid fatigue. Drink at least 8 glasses of water per day.
• Study smart
Give yourself enough time. Create a calendar and mark the dates of your exams ahead. Start preparing for them at least a week before: the more time you study, the more effective it is. You may make study guides, notes and cards to spend more time studying and memorizing material. It will definitely reduce the last-minute stress.

About the author: Vivien Smith graduated Middlebury College with a major in English, and now she is up to get her degree in Psychology. She is completely obsessed with writing articles for blogs and newspapers, and currently she makes her living as an academic writer at http://essaygobuy.com and other online services.