Environmental Issues: The Human Problem of Non-adaptation

richjesel
As we go about our daily lives it is hard not to take advantage of everything that we have around us that keeps us safe from our environment: Shoes to protect our feet from rocks, ice, and biting insects, clothes to keep us warm and dry, vehicles to travel in speed and at whatever temperature we want on the inside. Even our buildings are provided to keep us as comfortable as possible. Our own ideas, inventions, struggles, and growing civilizations have, without our entire realization but not entire ignorance, become a detriment to our planet and thus, ourselves. We are literally committing global suicide through two things: The human being’s ability to shape the environment around it and purposely ignoring of the path we were taking with our technology in the name of money or power.
Let’s face it. We are creatures of many wants and have the ability to use our imagination to make those wants a reality. Birds may build nests, beavers their dams, and ants their colonies, but they use what they have without causing a danger to the very planet itself. Dinosaurs, in the millions of years on earth, didn’t cause nearly the global catastrophe that we have in a mere few hundred years. Think about that. In a blink of the whole of this planets time in this solar system we have begun to create an environment that could quite possibly cause our own extinction all because we decided that with our unique abilities, we would stop adapting to the environment and instead adapt the environment to us.
And for what, you might ask? At first it was probably simple. Self-preservation is easier if you don’t have to wait for a random mutation to make sure your species survives. But after time and the advent of money and power, the altruistic purpose of our technology became more and more greedy. The desire to dominate one another became stamped in the exchange of money and the more money one has the more that person can do with it.
More questions remain than answers when it comes to the environment. Will we ever really stop doing harm to our planet? Can those in power sacrifice their popularity and profit in the name of humanity? My worry is that no matter how bad our environment becomes, we will find a technological way to shape it around us. I’m afraid that if the east coast of the United States floods due to rising ocean levels that we will simply move out of the way and find new homes all the while mourning the mounting death toll of those who have drowned. We need to realize that it is our responsibility to protect the planet, and thus ourselves, rather than the other way around because if we think of ourselves first then our planet, our whole environment, will dry up and take us with it.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your October Environmental Issues essay being selected as our first place adult essay.

We will be contacting you via your registration email for prize details.

You can check this page after November 30th 2015 for all the writing contest results::

Posted: Friday, November 20, 2015 8:57:51 PM