Explore The Universe: A Dozen Of Must-See Places

vivien.smith.9862
The world is full of one-of-a-kind places, which can astonish even the experienced travelers. Here are some corners in the universe you are sure to see at least once in a lifetime.

• Chocolate Hills in Philippines
The Chocolate Hills, or Tsokolateng burol in their native language, are located on the island Bohol, the Bohol Province, Philippines. They are called so because of very close resemblance to the world-loved chocolate truffles – both in form and color. 1.770 “sweet” hills cover about 50 square kilometers of the island terrain. There is still no explanation of their origin particularly on this island. Some believe the hills are somehow connected to space, through the stars, and are therefore the source of the cosmic energy. But this theory is still ungrounded.

• Heart Reef in Australia
The heart-shaped island close to Australia, in the Pacific Ocean (Airlie Beach), is a coral reef full of precious wildlife. The island is famous for its short airplane tours, since it can only be observed from high above because of being protected by the Australian government. No diving is allowed here, any human activities and soil pollutions are severely punished.

• Fire Waterfall in USA
A 650-meter high Fire Waterfall in the Yosemite National Park, California, USA, is called “fire” not because of a true fire. In reality, it is a common waterfall, and for most part of the time it does remain a waterfall. But in February, the sun takes a certain position in the sky and starts reflecting in the water drops at a special angle, thus creating an amazing fire flare. Note that the sun should be active, because the clouds or anything else obstructing the sunlight totally hinders the “fire” to be poured over the water.

• Petra in Jordan
The ancient city of Petra in Jordan was built long ago by an Arab tribe inside a narrow canyon in between the huge rocks. Petra is also called the Rose City due to its brown to rose color. For a long time, Petra remained a very rich and famous city well known as a trade way connecting China, Arabia and India with Syria, Rome and Egypt. Being a tremendous commercial hub, Petra attracted thousands of people. Now Petra is still full of ancient roads, caves, tombs, temples and monasteries. UNESCO has acknowledged it to be the world heritage site.

• Stone Forest in China
The Stone Forest covering about 400 square kilometers of terrain in the Southern China, the Province of Yunnan, is called so because of its natural stone masterworks. When retreating, the sea washed out the soft rocks and left behind the hard-rock bodies very much resembling the trees. The Stone Forest is protected by UNESCO.

• Door to Hell in Turkmenistan
The Turkmenian village of Derweze (“door” in English), in the middle of the Karakum Desert, is famous for its fire-flaming cave called the Door to Hell, because it is exactly how the locals imagine the inferno. Four decades ago, geologists revealed a big gas field here. They started exploring the site, and the well emanated poisonous gas. To prevent the hazardous gas emission, the geologists set the well on fire, and it has been burning ever since, the flares being sometimes as high as 15 meters.

About the author: Vivien Smith, an independent travel writer, a journalist, an amateur author at essayking.net. Likes traveling to the places rarely visited by tourists and exploring their uniqueness. Keen on physics and astronomy.