STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

The Flight

lucasqsick
I've never seen her so stressed. Mum juggles cardboard boxes at home, frown lines magnified as she attempts to pack while feeding and entertaining three confused boys. Meanwhile, Dad, flown across the planet, sunbathes on the island of Oahu.
A few weeks before, on a silent evening nearing the end of June, I find Mum lying face down on our flowery brick patio, soaking up the last few drops of sunlight in the day. Her eyes are closed and she whispers to me that she's going to get married to Dad in two weeks time. When I ask her why, she tells me that we are off to live in a place called America. I don't know what to think.
"Why?" I ask, even though I know the answer. We are moving over a line that Dad has accidentally given life to, see you in another life, bruthah.
"For work," Mum says.
I try to picture America. I've only heard the word a couple of times. It's a distant accent I have caught glimpses of when observing the cheese-filled voices on American Idol, the scruffy warm carpet tugging me down. It's a photograph revealing where my two flexible cousins, for some reason, live, gymnastic trophies decorating their huge plain house in the middle of sunny nowhere. It's an enormous tree I once shouted and pointed at when Mum soared me up high on our blue vomit-stained swing, until it got cut down because of a fungus growing on it. The word 'America' was empty, and, in less than a month, I would be living in it.
"It'll be a fun chapter in our life," Mum smiles at me. I imagine it spread out like butter between each chapter of a thick book.
After greetings and goodbyes of cherished items hidden behind cobwebbed walls of our red brick house, we find ourselves in a taxi, and then miles away, in an airport hotel. There is no turning back now. Esau and Eli are quick to jump onto the bed and switch on the TV to find War of the Worlds playing, but I turn my head away, not sure if the idea of moving or the images on the screen make me nauseous.
Mum tells me to take a bath, as I look sweaty, so I strip down to plop myself into a scorching, unfamiliar bath. I sit still, letting the warm water sink into my white skin that will soon probably turn tanned, trying to digest the thought of moving. The door to the toilet is left wide open.
I hear Mum answer her little silver phone and abruptly change the channel on the TV, at which Esau and Eli whine, leading to bold white words screaming, "BREAKING NEWS" and "BOMB THREAT". I peer over to Mum.
"Ann, don't go. Not with the boys," the muffled voice leaks out from the phone. It's Grandpa.
"I have to! Where else can I go? The house is completely locked up."
"It doesn't matter. I'm not letting you go, Ann."
Mum stands in the hotel bedroom, her expression pale as ever. Her face scrunches up and tears stream down her face. I decide she is simply crying on the phone to Grandpa about how much she will miss him, even though I'm old enough to know that something is terribly wrong. The water surrounding me is scorching hot and I begin to shiver.
The next morning we are scheduled to fly to LA. Outside of the airport, we wait around for something, so Eli and Esau play around with Mum's mobile phone. We're going to live in an enormous house in Hawaiyee with a swimmin pul and hot tub, next to a beach and even have an enormous tree house! Esau squeals into the phone camera in his almost cockney accent. Mum stands in the background, looking for something, frown lines magnified.
Once we get inside the airport, I am suddenly lost. Trembling, I sit myself down at a table of a nearly empty breakfast restaurant. I pick up a newspaper and flick through its heavy pages to find an image of a dead baby in the arms of its dead mother, both covered with ash, and try not to burst into tears. People have already begun to evacuate the airport.
I suddenly see Mum's face in the distance.
"What are you doing? Hurry up!" her blurry face screams to me. I rush over to her and she grabs my hand. I expect some sympathy, but suddenly we are all sprinting across the slippery white marble floor.
I find our-selves standing in a line leading to the only plane flying in Heathrow airport, and Mum begins to second-guess herself, as if we have bought ourselves a one-way ticket to death.
"No, Annie, don't worry. Just go. Take the boys and go. They've checked the plane, loads of times now. It's probably more than safe. I promise you'll be fine, darling. I love you." Dad sunbathes.
"Alright, we're going." Mum croaks.
I'm embarrassed when Mum kindly offers bagged sweeties down the line of up-tight, nervous passengers. We are about to board the plane and can't bring anything on, not even Mum's pink purse. My last wish is to die on a journey to paradise.
Just as we have settled into our uncomfortable plane seats, an enormous body stuffed with McDonalds chips and burgers wobbles into the tight walkway of the plane. I wonder if her bum will fit into her seat, and if the majority of people in America will be this fat. I wonder if she will weigh the entire plane down.
"Lucas, please don't stare at people. It's rude."
During the flight, my eyes are fed with American cartoons with humor that I don't pick up on. "Boys, please get to sleep. We're landing sooner than you'd think." Mum puts back on her eye-mask on to distract herself. Even the flight attendants have gone to sleep.
A few hours later, my eyes dart open and, rejoicing silently, I realize that we have survived. The entire plane is void of passengers. The flight attendant grows impatient at Esau and Eli who are completely unresponsive, knocked out dead with mouths wide open. Mum tries to wake them up with gentle nudges, but I can tell she finds it funny. Mum's frown lines have simmered down.
We are greeted at the airport in LA by a camera and a female reporter rushing over to Mum. For a second, I assume that all of this commotion is because Dad is famous now. Eli and Esau run away into the toilets, playing hide and seek, and the female American reporter begins to bombard Mum with questions about how stressful and scary the flight was. Tears form in her eyes, and, even though I'm desperate for a pee, I stand as close as possible to her in my Heely's, much too exhausted to feel the slightest drop of embarrassment.
We are alive.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for singles that allows those living on their own the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Explore our blogging contests for singles, statistics about being single, quotes about being single, and other resources about the single life here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Creative Writing and Language Arts Resources.

Stage of Life Writing Contests

writing contests

Enter National Writing ContestWriting Contests

From 2010 to 2016, StageofLife.com ran a monthly, multi-generational writing contest.  With over 3,000,000 visitors and tens of thousands of participating students, teachers, parents, and bloggers involved over half a decade, StageofLife.com grew into the world's largest multi-generational writing community.

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhere is the Writing Contest Now?  As StageofLife.com grew into a global writing destination, the coordination of managing an international writing contest became too time intensive for the website's owners.  So starting on Sept. 4, 2016, StageofLife.com unfortunately had to end the writing contest portion of its services. 

However, we are now actively looking for new owners of StageofLife.com who may want to carry on the mission of helping to change the world, one story at a time.  If you know someone who may be interested in taking StageofLife.com to the next level, we can share details around the opportunity.  Please send an email to our owners if there's interest to acquire the website.

But in the meantime, there's still plenty to see and do here - just check out the various links and menus on the page.

Past Annual Writing Contest Results:  While the energy and time to carry on the StageofLife.com writing contest has come to a close, you can see summary reports and the winners from the monthly contests on our Writing Contest Winners page.  Tens of thousands of people have submitted essays over the last six years.  Our editorial team has been extremely grateful for all of the wonderful essays shared over the years - words and stories that have helped us change the world, one story at a time.

Sincerely,

--StageofLife.com owners Eric & Rebecca Thiegs and Joe & Lisa Thiegs

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes were part of the fun for participants of the free writing contests on StageofLife.com.

Mentions for the Stage of Life teen writing contests, teen trend reports, etiquette Q&A, and teacher resources by...

Our writing contests mentioned by TIME.com
Our Teen Trend Report mentioned by MarketWatch Our etiquette resources mentioned by FOX Business Educator tips mentioned by Mashable

Each month over half a decade, Stage of Life hosted and judged writing contests for both students and adults.  We thank the below brands - our educational sponsors - who supplied gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we helped the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Spa & Wellness gift cards by SpaWeek 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat made our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests were always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe
  • We wanted to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We picked writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We awarded the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, writers were supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and their words reached hundreds of thousands of viewers who visited StageofLife.com

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy