STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

March Madness: Alone

lauren820
The shrill sounds of screaming pierce my ears as panic escapes from my student's mouth. She screeches and screeches until suddenly the shouting ceases and turns into cackling and pure, sadistic laughter which bursts out from within her. By now, she has hopped out of her seat and is rocking in an unsteady motion. Her eyes bulge out from her head and appear hollow and distant. Just as quickly, as the episode starts, it stops. Stricken, I run to her and ask her what is wrong. “I had a vision that Lady Gaga will have a baby in 2020,” she prophesizes so matter of fact. The rest of the class snickers under their breaths while sharing smirks of amusement with one another. My boy with autism covers his ears and curses her for the disturbance. My lesson, now, is clearly in shambles and has little hope of being resurrected. Is this a class prank that my students constructed to get me off task in order to shift the attention from learning to utter pandemonium? No, this is mental illness.
I am a special education teacher at a high school. That girl has schizophrenia and autism. The rest of that class have a variety of disabilities ranging from mild intellectual disabilities to hearing impairments and autism. However, that one particular girl stands out the most. She mutters to herself, cries out in terror, kicks the air as she battles imaginary demons, and spouts off bizarre facts. Wherever she goes, she is sure to blaze a trail of a certain stigma – which she is crazy and everyone should stay away. Her mumblings and off-the wall antics often beset a chorus of laughter from ignorant and unassuming people. Meanwhile, society has taught to accept people with disabilities and treat them with dignity and respect. No one should be laughing and making fun of someone's misfortunes.
Yet, often mental illness is looked down upon. Parents hustle their children away from the man talking to himself in the park, and young adults avoid the teenager who cuts herself. Are we afraid that whatever they have, we will get if we come too closely? On the other hand, passersby are quick to hold the door open for a man in a wheelchair. No one laughs at the little girl with cancer. Only an evil person would tauntingly wave an object in front of a blind person. A certain stigma is often not attached to physical disabilities as it is to mental illnesses. A person with a brace or a walker or a hearing aid can be included or be a friend. But the person with depression, ADHD, or bi-polar disorder is a nuisance or a hassle and is best to just be excluded from the rest of the “normal” people.
Sadly, these individuals suffer from a real illness just like leukemia or Parkinson's disease. They do not want to feel as if they should hide from society because they are too ashamed of their illness. They want to be listened to and talked to. Most importantly, they want people to understand them.
My student shuffles out of class amid the throngs of people flooding the hallways. She absentmindedly sways back and forth and utters about her most recent vision. She draws a few stares and perplexed looks, but, other than that, no one pays her much attention. She has no one with whom to laugh or share stories from class. She is alone with her thoughts. Then, there, among it all, another girl stops, says her name, and smiles. My student smiles back.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your “Alone” March Madness / Mental Health essay being selected as our first place adult essay winner.

Be proud of your accomplishment and be proud of yourself for having the bravery to share your story.

We will be contacting you via your registration email to give you details about your prizes.

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time."

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Monday, April 7, 2014 4:26:32 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for singles that allows those living on their own the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Explore our blogging contests for singles, statistics about being single, quotes about being single, and other resources about the single life here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Creative Writing and Language Arts Resources.

Stage of Life Writing Contests

writing contests

Enter National Writing ContestWriting Contests

From 2010 to 2016, StageofLife.com ran a monthly, multi-generational writing contest.  With over 3,000,000 visitors and tens of thousands of participating students, teachers, parents, and bloggers involved over half a decade, StageofLife.com grew into the world's largest multi-generational writing community.

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhere is the Writing Contest Now?  As StageofLife.com grew into a global writing destination, the coordination of managing an international writing contest became too time intensive for the website's owners.  So starting on Sept. 4, 2016, StageofLife.com unfortunately had to end the writing contest portion of its services. 

However, we are now actively looking for new owners of StageofLife.com who may want to carry on the mission of helping to change the world, one story at a time.  If you know someone who may be interested in taking StageofLife.com to the next level, we can share details around the opportunity.  Please send an email to our owners if there's interest to acquire the website.

But in the meantime, there's still plenty to see and do here - just check out the various links and menus on the page.

Past Annual Writing Contest Results:  While the energy and time to carry on the StageofLife.com writing contest has come to a close, you can see summary reports and the winners from the monthly contests on our Writing Contest Winners page.  Tens of thousands of people have submitted essays over the last six years.  Our editorial team has been extremely grateful for all of the wonderful essays shared over the years - words and stories that have helped us change the world, one story at a time.

Sincerely,

--StageofLife.com owners Eric & Rebecca Thiegs and Joe & Lisa Thiegs

Bragging rights, international recognition, and gift card prizes were part of the fun for participants of the free writing contests on StageofLife.com.

Mentions for the Stage of Life teen writing contests, teen trend reports, etiquette Q&A, and teacher resources by...

Our writing contests mentioned by TIME.com
Our Teen Trend Report mentioned by MarketWatch Our etiquette resources mentioned by FOX Business Educator tips mentioned by Mashable

Each month over half a decade, Stage of Life hosted and judged writing contests for both students and adults.  We thank the below brands - our educational sponsors - who supplied gift cards as prizes for the winning essays as we helped the change the world through blogging, storytelling, and our literacy-based initiatives...

Writing contest sponsor  Writing contest sponsor on StageofLife.com  Blogging contest prize sponsor Spa & Wellness gift cards by SpaWeek 

StageofLife.com writing contestsWhat made our writing contests different?

• Stage of Life writing contests were always free to enter
  • Essays from our blogging and writing contests have been picked up by the media, e.g. TIME.com, and used by teachers as mentor texts across the globe
  • We wanted to hear your personal, authentic thoughts on real world topics each month.  We picked writing prompts for which your answers and wisdom may help our readers
  • We awarded the winners with real prizes (cash and/or gift cards) from our site sponsors
  • By entering the Stage of Life writing contests each month, writers were supporting our free educational literacy initiatives and their words reached hundreds of thousands of viewers who visited StageofLife.com

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy