Independently female...4th of july for the 40 something

groovychef
My post last week was not really meant as a political roust about women's rights and the feminist movement but more about changing with the times to keep life moving forward.

However, this week it is.

I finally took the time to catch up on all the news stories buzzing about this last week and it seems that what stands out most clearly is all the women's issues currently standing on the political floor.

I say standing because the first order of business is the filibuster in Texas last week and how prominent that topic...abortion...is.

Texas politicians and female constituents are rallying right now to stop the bill that could shut down numerous abortion clinics around Texas and change laws for the ones that do stay open.

At the same time, 5 states just set in motion new laws regarding abortion and the laws that surround the procedure completely.

Some of these laws I agree with, such as making the standards for safety the same in clinics as they are in hospitals (sprinkler systems, health codes and regulations and such) as well as parental consent under 18 and longer waiting periods between consultation and procedure. These benefit families and women, giving them ample safety and time to make the best choice for themselves and their futures.

Other changes I am not so keen on from a women's perspective.

Regulating the prescribing of the morning after pill can be costly and counter productive in a woman's ability to control her own birth control and sexual conduct.

Plainly put, if I want to have unprotected sex and decide that my timing might result in a pregnancy, I want to be able to waltz into my local pharmacy and purchase the pill. I want to be able to control the possibility of pregnancy before it becomes medically necessary to see a physician.

I want to know that the pharmacist is not going to judge me or preach to me the importance of birth control or safe sex. Let's be honest, even Martha Stewart has admitted to having a one night stand (ok...she also admitted to participating in a threesome but that's a whole different topic). As adults, things sometimes take place that we do not expect and therefore it is always best to have a grasp on the consequences.

As for the banning of abortion all together, feminist groups fought this battle 40 some years ago. Why are we rehashing this topic again and wasting political dollars (and time) when inherently, we should be putting those dollars into educating women on reproductive rights, safety, birth control, and choices.

Further more, what right do politicians (mostly male Republicans but I am not calling anyone out here because I am certain there are female Democrats that also feel this way) have in making choices for me, a 40 something single female with grown children and a career.

And let's call a spade a spade here (as you KNOW I do so often)...it takes two humans to get pregnant. Period.

With that being said, there is also a percentage of males that disclaim having any part in it, nor do they even want to accept the responsibility of parenthood either financially or emotionally (we have all seen the Maury show....Tyrell...your NOT the Father).

Still, it is the male populace that seems to want to control the rights of a woman's reproductive system.

Now I could get all clinical here and start throwing numbers out of ages that women have abortions, teen pregnancy, racial statistics, gender statistics but as a reader, you would get that glimmer in your eye...the one where you mentally fade out and lose interest...so I am not going to.

But as the 4th of July approaches, it seems to me that maybe politicians need to re-examine what being independent is all about. For a woman, it is about making choices for herself about her own body.

As a woman, I would not date a man and then tell him what he should do with his reproductive organs. Its not my right.

(I shall follow this up with a simple statement....as a feminist, I ALSO have the right to choose whom I engage in sexual activity with and am of the mature stature that I know better then to be promiscuous in any way shape or form and the health risks involved with it. Being in control of your own reproductive organs also means you have awareness of health risks such as STD's that are not related to pregnancy and contraception but associated with making good decisions.)
Comment by michness

Hear, hear! A lady after my own heart!
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:27:24 PM