Letter to Mom: From Jenny With Love

jenx817
My Dearest Mom,

It's been a hard few years, but I've been pushing through just like you always taught me to. Mother's Day is just another day for me, because it is not possible for me to love or appreciate you anymore than I already do. When it gets to be this time of year, however, there are so many thoughts that race through my mind and there is only one person who I could talk to that always understands--you.

Today, at age nineteen, I look back on all you taught me as I grew up, but I also think about all the things I never did--nor will ever get to--learn from you. I never learned how to put on makeup; I spent most of ninth grade with raccoon eyes. I never learned to buy high heels for comfort, not style, when wearing a dress that will hide them anyway; the day after my Sweet Sixteen was spent icing the blisters on my feet. I never learned what to do when my boyfriend didn't call me back after our first fight; he eventually rang the doorbell holding flowers. But all of that is okay, because I know you would have loved to teach me, and I would have learned so much.

I know I won't have my mom there to try on wedding gowns for next week, but I know you will be watching somewhere. I know I won't see my mom's face in the crowd as I walk down the aisle, but I know you will be watching somewhere. And I know my future child won't get to meet his grandmama, but I know you will be watching over him whenever he comes into this world.

I know you did not ask to get sick, but I still hurt everyday. I know if I could see you you would tell me not to cry as much as I do, but I cannot help it. But as sad as I am that you had to leave me so abruptly and so unexpectedly, there are still so many things you have given me that I will forever be grateful for.

You gave me strength: I was able to defend myself against that horrid Becky Steeler when she used to steal my Barbies in the second grade. You gave me courage: I was able to muster up enough of it to ask Danny Mckinley to the sixth grade dance--he said yes. You gave me the ability to love: I told Danny I loved him on my fourteenth birthday. But most of all, you gave me hope: I stopped looking at life without you as a punishment and started embracing what cards were dealt to me.

So, to you, mommy, I say: I love you, I miss you and I know one day I will see you again.

Happy Mother's Day.

With Love,

Jenny

Comment by SailsClark

Losing your mom so early is beyond tough, I can't even imagine. I'm glad she taught you well though, you seem like a very humble person. I guess the best things we can take away from our parents are be happy and enjoy life with those you love.
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 6:27:13 AM
Comment by maurabeaver

Congratulations! You’ve been selected as one of the 5 Runners-Up for the May writing contest: "Letter to Mom"

Check out the full report here: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandMoms.aspx

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting, and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2013 5:46:38 PM