In The News: The Reality of North Korea’s Treat

Sophia123

The United States of America has not been on good terms with North Korea ever since they sided with South Korea in the Korean War. But many are asking today, “Is North Korea a treat to the United States?”
I believe North Korea is a treat to the United States, though it’s a larger or smaller threat according to whom you ask. Though in many ways North Korea is more of a treat to itself and its own people. North Korea has been taunting the United States with their nuclear weapons while the U.S. wants them to denuclearize. America wants to be the strongest military force in the world and North Korea is standing in their way.
Recently, North Korea has vowed to restart nuclear facilities while the U.S. sends out war ships to shoot down missiles. This has sent American citizens into a brief panic because of North Korea’s unpredictability. Everyone wants a stable Asia and no one wants a war right now. Even China and Russia have stated that tension seems to be rising out of all our military exercises.
Like I briefly stated, North Korea is a larger treat to itself than anyone else. Two out of three North Korean citizens suffer from malnutrition. With all of their money being directed to the military, the result is chronic food shortages and many deaths. Besides the lack of sustenance for all citizens, another problem within the North Korean government is their own people in concentration camps. With North Korea letting this happen to their own people, they are more harmful to themselves than anyone else at this point in time.
North Korea considers them a democracy. The North Korean people can vote, even if there is only one name on the ballot. But if you do not vote for that one person, you are declared an enemy of the state. With their recent change of leadership in December of 2011, North Korea’s relationship with the United States of America has definitely not improved.
The U.N. is trying to figure out what North Korea now wants. In my opinion, I believe that North Korea want the United States to recognize their power and accept North Korea in the “club” of nuclear warfare. With Kim Jong-Un now ruling North Korea, I believe he wants to gain attention. He is like a crying baby and the only way to make him stop crying is by giving the baby what he wants. But when a baby gets what it wants for crying, it will never stop.
If North Korea does decide to fire their nuclear missiles, The U.S. military could easily strike back within a month, Everything could easily spiral out of control. Teenagers and young people should care about this and recognize what’s going on in our world. Because one day, we will be in charge and if this is not sorted out by then, we will have to fix it ourselves.