In The News: Thoughts to Ponder About the Boston Marathon Bombing

shein8110
It is in times like these that I find within myself a strong desire to write. Recording my thoughts helps me make sense of the past week’s events. My initial thought is one I share with millions: “How can someone do this?” The events in Boston leave me sad and sickened. Once I recovered from my initial shock, however, I asked myself not how, but why. The nature of ‘good’ versus ‘evil’ has always fascinated me. What defines ‘good’ in a world where no two people believe in the exact same values? I have often wondered what life is like from the other side. What would I believe in if I grew up in a different society? When focusing specifically on terrorism, Americans define ‘evil’ as our enemies, and rightfully so. But while we look at them as adversaries, they stare back with the same view. Sure, our beliefs are drastically different, and I certainly do not condone the violence that results from their actions, but I consider it a mirror. We look into that mirror and see exactly what they see: evil. And while I stand for the ‘good’ that this country stands for, I cannot help but be fascinated by that very fact. As I send my prayers to Boston, I leave you with my last thoughts. In the midst of the sadness, don’t lose hope. Although it seems like a dark world, light still shines. It shines in the firefighters, policemen, EMTs, runners, spectators, and countless others who proved themselves heros this week. If anything positive can be taken away from the past week it is that the people of this great nation have united and endlessly proved that America stands for what it has always stood for. America stands for ‘good’.