In The News: The Economic Sky is Falling, Somewhere Else

mikema63
The economic troubles of faraway countries that do not speak English, rarely interest most Americans, much less young adults. We blithely ignore the economic instabilities of Greece and Cyprus if we even hear about them at all. However this is a dangerous attitude to have. The economic instability of the European Union is on one hand a danger to our own economy and on the other a lesson we must learn from. Watching how these countries’ economies destabilize can teach us lessons about how to avoid that fate ourselves. It can also serve as a warning against our own excesses. At the same time watching how the EU deals with these problems may help us solve other crisis down the road. We can see what does, or does not, work.

Ignoring these far away problems carries the danger of the old adage “He who does not learn from history is doomed to repeat it”. We may well find ourselves doing the same things that those countries have done themselves to create their problems. After all we are not exempt from the same laws of human nature that drove them to their decisions.

We are also not exempt from the laws of economics. If the EU fails to solve its problems in todays interconnected global economy, we ourselves may fall victim to their troubles. If we are vigilant and paying attention we may be able to protect ourselves somewhat from the fallout. If we are not then we will be surprised by it and be the worse for it.

If we are paying attention to what happens in the world’s economy then we can force our lawmakers to protect us from the follies of others and prevent ourselves from repeating their mistakes. If we ignore the rest of the world and its economic woes like we always have then nothing will happen.

Perhaps this is not as interesting as terrorism, gay marriage, or gun violence and the US. It doesn’t have the same spice and interest to us as our own domestic issues. We are bored by it and it is indeed a complex and dry subject to discuss about foreign lands we care little for. But we cannot ignore the problems of the world, problems which could destroy us without our ever realizing that it has happened. We cannot allow ourselves to fall into apathy about the rest of the world. If we do we may well find ourselves to be lost.
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a runner up for the April writing contest: "In the News"

Check out the full report here: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandNews.aspx

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting, and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:14:58 PM