STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

In the News: A young girl is dead--teen bullying to blame

jenx817
Rehtaeh Parsons was just another girl, living a normal life in Nova Scotia, Canada. However, unlike any other girl, she succumbed to a trauma that no one would wish on his or her worst enemy. She was gang raped by several boys at the age of just fifteen. Horrific enough as this was, one boy apparently took and released a photo of the young girl being assaulted to the public, unleashing a reign of bullying on Parsons.
Technology has been the best and worst thing to happen to our society. On one hand, we make incredible leaps of discovery with it, and on the other, immature adolescents can use it to ruin a peer's reputation and, frankly, break his or her spirit. That's just what the alleged four rapists did to Rehtaeh. Teens are given such powers and responsibilities with social media sites, hi-tech cell phones, etc., that are being abused and used against innocent victims. What shocks me is the lack of justice served to the boys as the photo of one of them having sex with Rehtaeh while she was clearly incapacitated by alcohol is not enough proof to convict the boys of a crime.
What touched me most about this story--and what I believe teens and college students need to pay more attention to--is the consequences of what they put out about other people on the internet. This is not the first instance I have heard of a girl being bullied and blamed for an act of sexual assault. A sixteen year old girl was sexually assaulted while party-hopping in Steubenville, Ohio. She was thoroughly incapacitated by alcohol and during the sexual assault, people took photographs of her naked. With the posting of these photos online, the floodgates for teens to pass judgement on her were wide open. They criticized her, calling her insulting names, and even claimed that she deserved to be raped. These teens were saying this about the girl who was a victim of sexual assault, but based on their crude comments it did not appear to cross their minds once.
Rehtaeh is not alone when it comes to bullying, but the apparent desensitization we as a society have to such a serious crime as rape disgusts me. Just because we--the teens of today--have a keyboard and screen to act as our protector does not mean we should be posting photos or saying things that in anyway victimize another human being. In the end, those teens can never take back the things they said, and as a result a young girl lost her life, leaving behind a family that will never live life the same way again.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy