In the News: There's No Place Like Home

amanda.tucker
The college I attend is about twenty minutes from the town where I grew up, so everything that happens here is still “local” for me. That said, I have a more personal interest in the community. The thing that has struck me the most since being in college is how much everyone seems to know about international affairs, while knowing a rather small amount about what’s happening in our own state and town.

There isn’t a specific news story I think more people need to be aware of, but I just think we should all pay a little more attention to what’s going on in our own neighborhoods and less attention to things that don’t concern us as much. Don’t get me wrong, I do think it’s important to be aware of things on a global scale. But, I just think we should all be a little more conscious of the things in our communities. It’s really easy to get sucked into sensational news stories, but it’s important that we still leave some attention for the what's happening right around us.

At a basic level, there is a larger likelihood of affecting change on a more local scale. Sure, I sign the petitions I receive from Amnesty International regarding human rights abuses in other countries, but I also write letters to the governor when I find fault in the goings on in my state. It’s great to dream big, but change has to start from the bottom.

Earlier in the school year, I had the opportunity to hear a speaker give a lecture on human trafficking. Her experiences began during a trip to Haiti, and when she returned, she used her awareness to uncover similar violations right here in America. Now, this isn’t some nationalist rant, or anything like that, but it’s a great illustration of my point. So often we, as college students, get so passionate about things overseas or states away, and we don’t realize that there are similar things going on in our own backyards. We’ll share Facebook posts about things the President does, but many are largely unaware of what our governors are doing. We’ll spend fifteen minutes watching a news story about a reality TV star, but flip channels when the local news comes on. We’ll donate money or time to help “catch” Kony, and never realize how many similar trafficking violations occur in our own states.

As humans, we’re drawn to shock and awe, and we’re prone to think that such things don’t happen here. But, the sad truth is: they do. It is our responsibility to be aware of that. I’m not saying we should shut our eyes to the bigger picture, we just need to pay more attention to the smaller details. So, the news stories I think we should be paying more attention to are the local ones. Maybe they’re not as exciting, maybe they’re not trending on Twitter, but that doesn’t make them any less important or relevant.
Comment by Girlboxer1970

100% agree!
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2013 10:21:57 PM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a runner up for the April writing contest: "In the News"

Check out the full report here: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandNews.aspx

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting, and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:11:42 PM