In The News: It Started from Thatch

REENA
At age eighty-seven, a woman that truly changed the world passes away. Not many politicians or peace fighters leave behind an all-enduring legacy, but Margaret Thatcher – the first female Prime Minister of Britain – did. Creating a radical revolution, she opened the doors of freedom for all, with firm principles and an agenda set in stone; accordingly, she earned a reputation as, ‘the Iron Lady’.

The story of Margaret Thatcher is an important part of the lives of young people today, whether we know it or not. As we youth grow up to take our places in society, it is our generation who will soon occupy the chairs of leadership vacated by such predecessors as Margaret Thatcher, and in these times of war and intolerance, it is essential that we look to role models like her. What she has left behind is a reformed, thriving legacy for politicians and the world – but Thatcher did not achieve this by reclining in an armchair with a notebook and pen.

The three terms Thatcher served in office involved escaping death from a planted bomb (1984), being a voice for the oppressed in society and making unpopular decisions which ultimately led to peace and positive change. She liberated Britain’s economy from state control and took a stand against the Soviets. Even in 1992, when she left the House of Commons, she did not simply wash her hands of her ministry, but joined the House of Lords and lectured all over the world.

As the youth of today’s society, we must hold on to Margaret Thatcher’s iron will, her commitment to justice, and her undying confidence to stand up for her people no matter what the odds. Despite all criticism and opposition, Margaret Thatcher left an imprint on society and created her own legacy – which we have come to know as Thatcherism. Her principles set a high bar for all aspiring leaders of today, and so, the news story of both her life and death is important for all youth. By walking in her footsteps, future leaders can create an even more tolerant, free living environment for people of all countries and socioeconomic statuses.

Margaret Thatcher’s heartfelt belief, which was at the centre of her campaigns and decisions throughout her life, was this: the people’s interests must be put above those of the state. With this in mind, Thatcher achieved greatness despite formidable opponents and ceaseless discouragement, and her recent death does not mark the end of a great leader and woman – but the beginning of a history based on her legacy of freedom and peace. As a growing generation of tolerance and freedom, let us embrace the work of this great leader and prove that her story of revolution is not buried with her, but lives on and does her proud.