STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

In the News: The Rising Cost of Education

KL94
My first year of college was one filled with studying, more studying, friends, even more studying, and a rather large bill. Students who are about to exit high school and enter the hectic university life perhaps do not realize how expensive a post-secondary education can be. Any current college student, though, would probably not mind the chance to rant to anyone willing to listen about their never-ending pile of receipts and bills that their three part-time jobs just can’t pay for. The news networks and newspapers have focused on this fact for years: the cost of college is growing while the availability of jobs for recent grads is shrinking.

As a student about to finish my freshman year of college, I worry about this issue. I have close friends paying more than $50,000 a year to attend their elite private colleges. Even after paying more than $200,000 for four years, graduates are not ensured a well-paying job. As a result, they have to settle for jobs that perhaps have nothing to do with their major while attempting to pay their student loans.

The media focuses on this issue a great deal. Numerous headlines in TIMES, Forbes, and the Philadelphia Inquirer beg the question: “Is a college education really worth it?” It is important for teens and young adults to seriously consider this issue.

Students about to enter college should look at tuition before they sign with that small private school with an unknown name and a jaw-dropping bill. Now, news outlets are reporting the growth of community colleges and their benefits. I can attest firsthand to these claims. Instead of taking the path close friends did who are now more than $50,000 in debt before the age of twenty, I signed with my local community college. Though I pay a few hundred dollars for books, supplies, and gas, my college pays my entire tuition due to my academic performance. I am enrolled in stimulating honors classes, pay nothing, and have the opportunity to transfer to any school I choose with an even larger scholarship. I am receiving the same education as my friends at four year schools and paying even less.

It is also important for students to consider if college is right for them. America does not need everyone to be a lawyer, doctor, or professor. There still needs to be mechanics who fix cars, carpenters who build houses, and hairdressers who style hair. College is not for everyone. So many teens in today’s society feel like they have to go to college, even when they know themselves the environment is not right for them.

Teens about to enter college should give serious thought to the questions and facts raised by the media. Where, why, and whether or not to go to college are some of the biggest decisions they are ever going to possibly make and the last thing they want to do is regret it down the road.
Rate this:
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a runner up for the April writing contest: "In the News"

Check out the full report here: http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandNews.aspx

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting, and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:07:20 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy