STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

No Fear: Two Words

brodie.gress
Two Words

When I was a kid, my siblings and I met on the bottom bunk in my little brother Tyler’s room and held contests. My older sister Kaitlin always created and judged them. Tell a good ghost story. Name the new baby Mom was expecting. One contest, I competed with Tyler and my little sister Libby in cursive writing. Kaitlin looked at our sentences and declared Libby the winner.

“You always pick one of them!” I screamed and ran off, locking myself in the bathroom. Later, Kaitlin knocked on the door.

“Brodie, I changed my mind,” she said. “You won.”

“I don’t care,” I sniffed.

“Then why are you crying?”

Since then, a bathroom’s been my favorite place to cry. When my Mom would ask me why I didn’t go to the basketball game—“All your friends will be there,” she’d say—I would excuse myself then sit on the toilet cursing that one classmate who threw Skittles at me during games. When I’d wondered why deciding not to kill myself for the umpteenth time still didn’t make me feel better, I would latch the door shut and flush the toilet loudly.

“Were you sick last night?” My dad asked me once. “I heard a lot of weird noises.”

“Yeah,” I said. “I’m better now.”

The bathroom, I thought, was the only private place on Earth. Growing up, I always shared a room with a sibling, and nowhere in our house was ever empty. Tyler visited the kitchen to make cereal, followed by Kaitlin looking for nachos and Libby a Coke. Mom read her latest mystery novel in the living room. Dad and my littlest brother Marshal watched sports on the basement’s wide screen. My family suffocated me when I needed to hide something: usually tears or hormones. In bathrooms at home or stalls at school, I tried to flush them, wash them down the sink.

My first day home after college, I was in the bathroom again. Looking at the mirror, I watched a film mist over my red, puffed eyes. Now was different. I was crying because I wasn’t going to hide this something in the bathroom anymore. A year before, I would’ve rather grabbed a razor blade then reveal this, but I’d already shared with college friends. They didn’t mind. They still liked me, I was relieved to know. Now home, I wanted to tell my family, however fast my heart was beating. So I left those red, puffed eyes in the mirror and walked out.

In the kitchen, Mom picked a ring from a pile of jewelry cluttering the dining table. As she examined it, necklaces and beads slid down from her hand. Less and less of them clinked onto the table until the last ding was heard. Then Mom noticed me in the door frame. She held the ring toward me.

“Look at this. You can give this to your wife one day.”

“Mom.

“I’m gay.”
Rate this:
Comment by Girlboxer1970

Holy Cow! Great essay! How did your mom respond? ~P.
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2013 8:27:14 PM
Rate this:
Comment by maurabeaver

Congratulations! You’ve been selected the first place winner for the March writing contest: "No Fear".

Check out the full writing contest summary here:
http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/WhatDoTeensFear.aspx

We will be in touch soon via email regarding your prizes.

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:10:07 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy