My Favorite TV Show: In Defense of Buffy The Vampire Slayer

WilliamKosh
Unfortunately for the copy of Ulysses on my bedside table, faded, forlorn and sporting a dog eared third page, there is no way I am tackling Joyce after an afternoon of class. I usually like to think of myself as an intellectual, high minded person, but if I’ve learned one thing from taking eighteen credits and paying for them with a weekend job at a coffee shop, it’s that everyone needs their comfort food. So instead, I’m shelling the tinfoil off of a fat, greasy burrito, popping a scratched up DVD into my first generation X-Box and watching a plucky Sunnydale High School student do what she does best: protect us all from creatures of the night.

You’re judging. Quit it. Despite the goofy premise, Buffy The Vampire Slayer is a clever, relevant show, the first mainstream success of Joss Whedon, the auteur director behind Firefly, Dollhouse, and Angel. He is currently riding out his prime working for Marvel Studios, so it’s worth noting that The Avengers, of the most massive international blockbusters of all time, has roots in Buffy.

The show’s titular character was originally conceived as an inversion of the “helpless blonde girl walks into an alley, meets a monster, dies” formula that had been employed in horror films for decades. What she became was a walking contradiction. Constantly popping her gum and rolling her eyes, Buffy is an affectionate portrait of 90s “slacker culture.” She is apathetic towards authority figures and concerned with shopping and parties above all else, but destiny choses her to become The Slayer. Buffy is torn between becoming a selfless guardian for her demon plagued town, and pursuing the more traditional future she had been counting on. I believe that her struggle for normalcy is iconic, but whether or not you buy that Buffy is a portrait of a generation, that her story encapsulates the fork in the road between the mainstream and an alternative culture that so many young people who grew up in the 90s met, it’s still fun to watch her punch evil in its face.

They just don’t make shows like that anymore. T.V. is divided up between the corrosively stupid world of “reality” and over-intellectualized serial dramas. The “middle way” of securing clever writing with an escapist safety net has disappeared from television, dissolving poor Buffy’s habitat around her and then adding insult to injury by replacing her with True Blood. It’s a shame. Television is poorer for its lack of Buffy-esque shows, the type that indulge our comfort zones without demanding that we shut our brains off completely. Buffy The Vampire Slayer is a gourmet meal from wrapped in a Taco Bell tortilla. And that’s why, after a long day of class, I can’t look away.

Comment by ashleylove920

Buffy is awesome! I love anything by Joss Whedon
Posted: Saturday, March 9, 2013 10:33:53 PM
Comment by Girlboxer1970

Well written essay! Buffy is kick ass!
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:07:02 PM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a runner-up for the February writing contest: "Why Can't I Stop Watching My Favorite TV Show?"

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:52:16 PM