My Passion Issue: A Taxing Workday

KMasters
“Thank you for choosing Chick-fil-A, this is Katie. How may I serve you today?” As I spoke those words for what seemed like the millionth time that day, I rushed to concoct three chocolate milkshakes, refill two beverages, and hand out ranch dressing to the people at the window; all while carefully listening to and punching in the order coming through the headset. I glanced at the clock- 3:15. Only forty-five minutes until I could escape the noisy chaos, collect my paycheck, and head home.

6:00 had come early that morning, and by the time I arrived at work at 7:00, I already knew it was going to be a long day. So far, one person had cursed at me due to a mixed up order, another employee accidentally spilled sticky lemonade all over me, we were ridiculously busy, and to top it all off, my head was throbbing with the beginnings of a migraine. I glanced at the clock again- 4:00. Heading to the back to grab my purse, I stopped in the office to collect my paycheck. As I eyed the crisp red paper with my name printed in bold black letters, along with that wonderful number- $317.53- a smile spread across my face. However, as I flipped the check over, I scowled. Ugly numbers glared up at me. $63.89 in taxes? Absolutely ridiculous! Pictures and sound bytes of a conversation with my dad started playing across the screen of my mind.

“Katie, the government is getting way out of hand these days. They're taking your hard-earned money to provide for other people, many of whom are too lazy to provide for themselves. I understand some legitimately can't find jobs. But when did it become okay for the government to forcibly take another person's money without their consent to provide for projects that oftentimes that individual disagrees with?”

“I agree, Dad. Money is being taken out of my paycheck to pay for medicare and social security, two systems that are imploding on themselves. By the time I'm old enough to collect, those programs will be long gone. I'll never see that cash again. Not to mention you and Mom are forced to pay school taxes when none of your kids are enrolled in the public school system since we homeschool. And all those taxes that go to help the poor? For goodness sakes, let me give to charity myself instead of going through a government that keeps most of it for themselves. It's my right to choose if and where I want to give.

While driving home, I mulled over the coming election. This is the first Presidential election I have the opportunity to vote in and I'm excited to exercise that right. My vote will be cast for Mitt Romney, who will work to lower taxes and reduce government spending. Though I'm only one individual, I know I have a political voice and will use that voice to stand for what I believe in.

Comment by Justina

I'm glad that you're using your right to vote. :D
Posted: Sunday, October 7, 2012 9:34:26 AM
Comment by bugcandy

Congratulations - your essay above has selected as one of the semi-finalists for our political "Passion Issue" student writing contest. We'll be picking the winner within the next two weeks (our final judging phase is taking place on the finalists now by our Editorial team).

Please check the summary page as we'll be announcing the Runners-Up and Winner later this month: http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandPolitics.aspx

Thanks so much for entering the writing contest and blogging on StageofLife.com. We look forward to reading more of your essays!

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2012 7:44:13 PM