STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Passion Issue: A Taxing Workday

KMasters
“Thank you for choosing Chick-fil-A, this is Katie. How may I serve you today?” As I spoke those words for what seemed like the millionth time that day, I rushed to concoct three chocolate milkshakes, refill two beverages, and hand out ranch dressing to the people at the window; all while carefully listening to and punching in the order coming through the headset. I glanced at the clock- 3:15. Only forty-five minutes until I could escape the noisy chaos, collect my paycheck, and head home.

6:00 had come early that morning, and by the time I arrived at work at 7:00, I already knew it was going to be a long day. So far, one person had cursed at me due to a mixed up order, another employee accidentally spilled sticky lemonade all over me, we were ridiculously busy, and to top it all off, my head was throbbing with the beginnings of a migraine. I glanced at the clock again- 4:00. Heading to the back to grab my purse, I stopped in the office to collect my paycheck. As I eyed the crisp red paper with my name printed in bold black letters, along with that wonderful number- $317.53- a smile spread across my face. However, as I flipped the check over, I scowled. Ugly numbers glared up at me. $63.89 in taxes? Absolutely ridiculous! Pictures and sound bytes of a conversation with my dad started playing across the screen of my mind.

“Katie, the government is getting way out of hand these days. They're taking your hard-earned money to provide for other people, many of whom are too lazy to provide for themselves. I understand some legitimately can't find jobs. But when did it become okay for the government to forcibly take another person's money without their consent to provide for projects that oftentimes that individual disagrees with?”

“I agree, Dad. Money is being taken out of my paycheck to pay for medicare and social security, two systems that are imploding on themselves. By the time I'm old enough to collect, those programs will be long gone. I'll never see that cash again. Not to mention you and Mom are forced to pay school taxes when none of your kids are enrolled in the public school system since we homeschool. And all those taxes that go to help the poor? For goodness sakes, let me give to charity myself instead of going through a government that keeps most of it for themselves. It's my right to choose if and where I want to give.

While driving home, I mulled over the coming election. This is the first Presidential election I have the opportunity to vote in and I'm excited to exercise that right. My vote will be cast for Mitt Romney, who will work to lower taxes and reduce government spending. Though I'm only one individual, I know I have a political voice and will use that voice to stand for what I believe in.

Rate this:
Comment by Justina

I'm glad that you're using your right to vote. :D
Posted: Sunday, October 7, 2012 9:34:26 AM
Rate this:
Comment by bugcandy

Congratulations - your essay above has selected as one of the semi-finalists for our political "Passion Issue" student writing contest. We'll be picking the winner within the next two weeks (our final judging phase is taking place on the finalists now by our Editorial team).

Please check the summary page as we'll be announcing the Runners-Up and Winner later this month: http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandPolitics.aspx

Thanks so much for entering the writing contest and blogging on StageofLife.com. We look forward to reading more of your essays!

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2012 7:44:13 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy