My Song: “Honestly”, I’m Finally Free

purplejazz16
When my relationship with my long time best friend ended my world was turned completely upside down. Before that I actually felt like I had a purpose in life. She needed me more than anyone else in the world, and that made me feel special. But in the end, it wasn’t worth it. She controlled me and was an expert at getting into my head and making me change. She told me countless lies about my life, and how people secretly hate me so I needed her because no one else was there for me.
I was different after that. Usually I am a carefree, happy person. I love having fun and making people laugh. I have an amazing relationship with my parents and with my friends. I was very content with life. After the relationship started I became very quiet. I just sat back and watched the world pass by right before my eyes. But if you were to ask me then how I felt about my life I would have told you I was on top of the world, because I really thought I was. I just wanted to feel like I belonged in this world, and could do something to help someone. As crazy as these things sound you would think how could anyone believe any of these things just because someone was saying them? Well she had a way of making you believe it.
Not long after we broke up, I heard “Honestly” by Hot Chelle Rae for the first time. It immediately put a smile on my face. The lyrics were expressing exactly what I was feeling, and that gave me hope. I didn’t think anyone had any idea what I was feeling, or that anyone was capable of understanding. I could explain my situation to anyone in the world and still feel like they had no idea what I was feeling inside. But “Honestly” gave me a sense of strength and comfort. They understood what I was going through: “I should cry, I should scream and get down on my knees, I should say that I need you here”. I was done with being mistreated: “I’m gonna party tonight, cause honestly I just don’t care.” And I could finally say to myself that it’s not my fault: “Honestly, you did it to yourself so don’t blame me.”
It was like this song belonged in my life, like it was the missing piece to the puzzle. Because of “Honestly”, I had the strength to move on and make my life better. I knew then that I didn’t need her to feel important. I just needed faith and courage in myself, which is what I have now. I blasted the song for my family and friends and it was like a weight was lifted. Everyone cheered and danced, and that was when I knew I could handle anything, because there would always be a song to help me through it.
Comment by abigailmumm

Isn't it wonderful to be understood? So often it just seems like no one gets it. So glad you were vindicated!
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:39:02 AM
Comment by SOFLarchive

I'm sorry about the way your friendship ended. It's better to be understood than misunderstood. People need to get to know your personality and see you as a good person. Wonderful essay!
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:50:03 AM