My Song: "Need You Now" by Lady Antebellum reminds me of how I fell for the exchange stude

MorganneJR
He called me a quarter after five in the afternoon. His calls don’t come regularly but when they do, it feels as if the ground falls beneath me. In those quick few seconds before I answer his call, my eagerness to hear his voice for a few short minutes, results in a nervous feeling in my stomach. Thinking back on that phone conversation, I can still hear his voice. “Just stop and listen for a few seconds,” he told me. I didn’t hear anything, disappointed. “They’re playing that one song,” he explained to me. “I had to call you and oh, guess what time it is?”

I became confused wondering why exactly it mattered what time it was. As I was doing the math in my head, he answered me without allowing me to answer, “It’s a quarter after one.”

A smile forms as I remember the song and plays in my head, “It’s a quarter after one, I’m all alone and I need you now.” The song happened to be “Need You Now,” by Lady Antebellum. The song would play when we were together and he would proceed to explain how the song reminded me of him and I.

Months previously…

I knew that time was passing and he’d be leaving soon but I never knew how hard saying goodbye would be. It was late and I knew it might be the last time I’d see him. When it came time, we drove off as we left him behind as he stood in the dark and I became numb the further we got.

A few months past and everything I felt for him never changed though I knew he was on the complete opposite side of the world. I found myself on an eighteen-hour flight a few months after to visit my best friend that I so long missed. I didn’t care what everyone thought about it. I spent eighteen years of my life doing what everyone thought I should do, this was what I wanted to do. That was the thing with him, he did what he wanted and his outlook on life amazed me. He was the friend I never had and I loved him.

When it came time to say goodbye, we didn’t say goodbye we said “see you soon.” Every time I hear that song I’m reminded that there’s someone on the other side of the world who shares the same memories as I do. Though I haven’t seen him in two years, spoken in nine months, and written in seven months, I can still hear his voice over the phone. His voice allows me to sleep at night, to believe that someday I’ll see him again.

His life is there and mine is here, so we can’t be but I met him for a reason; so I could start living for me. As the song goes, “I wonder if I ever cross your mind. For me it happens all the time.”
Comment by Justina

This really was a lovely essay. I like how you still remember your friend so fondly and could relate it so well to that song. I hope you two will be reunited someday soon!
Posted: Thursday, August 9, 2012 8:13:53 AM