My song: "Alice" by Avril Lavigne reminds me of my struggle finding my major for college,

fluffystatickitty09
I grew up, always knowing what I wanted to do after high school. I always knew what career I wanted. Everything changed, during my first quarter at my college. My original plans were to take my basic classes, than transfer to another school to get my teaching license. It wasn’t until I discovered that the college I wanted to transfer to; didn’t offer the classes I needed at the main branch. I was devastated, but right away I looked for a new major I could take “I’ll survive”. I looked into another old love, it was being a veterinarian, and soon after, I had to stop living in denial, and face the fact I couldn’t afford to go to a veterinarian school. Than almost as fast; I decided to become a veterinarian tech “get back on my feet again.” As I did research, shadowed others, and looked at what I would be doing. I started questioning my major, when I was rejected twice from the college I wanted to go to for this. This time I was stuck, “I found myself in Wonderland” I had no clue what to do, I was worried that I wouldn’t decide fast enough, I felt that I was on a time limit, I wanted to get out and start living on my own. I was freaking out, felt that my time would be up soon, since I had to stay back a year in the first grade, and I figured everyone was ahead of me. “Trippin’ out, spinning around, I’m underground, I fell down, I’m freaking out, where am I now? “ It wasn’t until I was talking to brother, did I realize I needed to breath and figure out what did I love to do, he said that ‘you can do anything, as long as it’s the only thing you want to do. Then you will put all of you energy into it”. “I’ll play the game but I can’t stay, I’ve got my head on straight, and I’m not going to change.” The answer came easily. “When the world crashes down, when I fall and hit the ground, I’ll turn myself around, don’t you try and stop me”. It was something my mother had always told me to do. Become a writer, write books and illustrate them. I was still devastated, unsure if that would be the good career choice for me. That is until I started writing a story, which I came up with years ago, I fell in love again, and drawing has always been my love: it was my favorite class in high school. “you can’t get in my way” The song reminded me I couldn’t give up on decided my major and I had to keep on trying no matter how many times I fell “It can’t stop me now.”
Comment by Justina

I'm glad you figured out what you want to do! :) I hope to read more of your writing. I also liked your brother's advice.

There is also this quote I like that sorta reminds me of what your brother said. It goes like, "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve." I think Napoleon Hill said that? Haha.

Good luck with your aspirations!!
Posted: Thursday, August 9, 2012 8:11:33 AM
Comment by SOFLarchive

Your story is similar to mine except I knew I wanted to be a writer. Glad you found the right career for you. Sorry about your struggles. I agree with your brother's advice. Good job on that essay. Keep writing and illustrating! You'd make a good writer/illustrator.
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2012 1:10:08 AM
Comment by fluffystatickitty09

Thank you so much everyone
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2012 3:07:44 AM
Comment by bugcandy

Congratulations - your essay above has been named a semi-finalist in the July and August StageofLife.com writing contest (where we asked people to share a story about how music played an important role during a unique time in their life).

We had over 9,500 people from around the world visit the StageofLife.com writing contest page during the summer and nearly 200 submitted qualifying essays.

43 essays were named finalists (one of which is yours).

To read a recap of the writing contest, see links to the qualifying essays, and find out who the runners-up and winner are (announced after September 15th, 2012) visit this page: http://www.stageoflife.com/music.aspx

Our 26 Editors are now reviewing the finalists. We'll make an announcement on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/StageofLife) and via email when the winner is selected.

Thanks again for sharing your story on Stage of Life. Please share the news of being named a finalist with your friends, family and via Facebook / Twitter.

Great essay above, and best of luck!

Stay tuned!

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com

P.S. If you haven't checked out the current writing contest, you can get to it from here: http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests.aspx
Posted: Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:43:45 PM