Person to Watch in 2012: The "Girl on Fire" Jennifer Lawrence

LaurenS
At first glance, an actress - a young one at that - may not seem a person of particular interest as we immerse ourselves in the political, personal, economic, and other challenges that 2012 will surely bring. However pop culture has a knack for seeping into other areas of the public sphere, and matched with a staggering tale of survival and oppression from a government of the future, I believe that Jennifer Lawrence will become a huge name in 2012. Though she has found success in the past couple of years, starring in movies such as "Winter's Bone" (for which she was Oscar-nominated in 2011) and "X-Men: First Class," Lawrence filmed the first movie based on a trilogy of books titled "The Hunger Games" in 2011, and it seems destined to become the next big cultural phenomenon when the film is released on March 23rd of this year. Though categorized as young adult fiction, the story is one that keeps readers captivated and appeals to audiences of all ages, and the continuation of the franchise with film adaptations of the other two books already seems inevitable. Lawrence plays the film's protagonist, Katniss Everdeen (deemed the "girl on fire"), and in my opinion she is beyond qualified to act the part.
How does any of this affect me - or people in general - you may ask? For one thing, I am a huge fan of the book series, and it was fascinating to read about the horrendous consequences to a society that has disintegrated and taken over by a materialistic, strong-handed government. The story also demonstrates the massive impact that an individual can have, essentially starting a revolution, and I think that is a valuable message for young people to be exposed to today.
Furthermore, I had the opportunity to be an extra for three days on the set of "The Hunger Games" film this past summer and saw Jennifer Lawrence act firsthand, and it was an incredible experience to see all that goes into the creation of just a few scenes. So many people invest their numerous talents and efforts into bringing a narrative to life, and as someone considering working in the film or television industries in the future, it was an invaluable glimpse into the world of filmmaking. Lawrence brings an incredible amount of emotion and realism to her roles, and I truly believe that in 2012 she will become a household name and help to raise the standards for acting in films geared toward youth in particular.
Is it too much to expect one woman's part in a single movie to do this and even perhaps increase the willingness of the young to take initiative and really act to impact their world? I think not. If anyone can do this in 2012, it may well be Jennifer Lawrence. After all, Katniss did start a revolution. Look out for Lawrence to, in her own way, do the same in 2012.
Comment by SOFLarchive

Very interesting about that actress.
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 4:32:37 AM