STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Studying Abroad...to do or not to do?

mcoly618
About three weeks ago my life came to a screeching halt when I was approached by a friend about studying abroad in Spain to finish up my Spanish credits. The words hit me like a ton of bricks, who wouldn't want to study in Spain? I got a a little bit of information from our conversation, mainly that the info session was Tuesday, and I went on with my day. This conversation stayed in my head for days, her words racing through my mind, all the possibilities.

I mentioned the idea to some family members while I was the home for the weekend. Some were completely for it and others thought it was a joke. I, however, was completely in love with the idea, struggling to find a way to make my dream come true.

I attended the information session that Tuesday, watched a slide show, received a brochure, application, and tons of information. I only had 2 weeks to decide. After a meeting with the campus financial aid office, I was utterly bummed. There was no way I could afford the 5 week, 6 credit trip. I would only be able to get 2,000 in aid and the rest would be on me. I was devastated.

Later, that week I made it a point to go to my adviser's office hours and discuss my academics. To my surprise, I found out that I was unable to do my internship at the planned time because of prerequisites and I would not be able to graduate on time. I never thought that I could be so upset. Before I left, I asked about the trip to Spain. My adviser encouraged me to find a way to go, that this would be the experience of a life time, as well as get me to graduate on time. I was so excited to hear that and I knew that going to Spain was something that I had to make happen.

It will be hard to scrounge up the remaining 3,000 dollars, I will most likely take out a loan. It will hard to tell my parents and ask for their help. It will be stressful and it will be scary, but it will be one of the best experiences of my life.

So during May 23 and June 25 think of me, hopefully I will be studying in Spain having the time of my life.
Rate this:
Comment by katecaffrey

I would say-- go, go, go!!! I studied last spring in Sevilla and had the time of my life. I miss it so much and I learned a TON. More than most would ever learn staying in America and studying Spanish. Immersing yourself in the culture helps for an understanding of the language and cultural dynamics for sure. I actually stayed a whole month extra after my program ended because I made friends with the Spaniards and just loved the city!

It's totally worth the money :)

Where are you thinking of going?
Posted: Thursday, February 4, 2010 2:38:30 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS EXPERIENCE HAPPEN! It will change the way you view yourself and the world. Living abroad and working in London for 6 months changed my life. I found out that I was able to do way more than I ever believed I could. I found strengths I never knew I possessed. My experience living in a different country really shaped the way I handle most of my life now. I feel confident that I can make it through most things and I will always make travel an essential aspect of my life.

I'm so excited for you.
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 3:46:48 PM
Rate this:
Comment by mcoly618

Well Ladies, I just made it happen!!!! I discussed it with my parents (irrationally and rationally) and I am handing in my application and deposit today!!!! I will be going to Valladolid, Spain from May 24-June 25, 2010. I literally cried for a half an hour after deciding because I am so excited for this experience. Thank you for your support and encouragement, I am going to need it!!
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 3:53:29 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy