Studying Abroad...to do or not to do?

mcoly618
About three weeks ago my life came to a screeching halt when I was approached by a friend about studying abroad in Spain to finish up my Spanish credits. The words hit me like a ton of bricks, who wouldn't want to study in Spain? I got a a little bit of information from our conversation, mainly that the info session was Tuesday, and I went on with my day. This conversation stayed in my head for days, her words racing through my mind, all the possibilities.

I mentioned the idea to some family members while I was the home for the weekend. Some were completely for it and others thought it was a joke. I, however, was completely in love with the idea, struggling to find a way to make my dream come true.

I attended the information session that Tuesday, watched a slide show, received a brochure, application, and tons of information. I only had 2 weeks to decide. After a meeting with the campus financial aid office, I was utterly bummed. There was no way I could afford the 5 week, 6 credit trip. I would only be able to get 2,000 in aid and the rest would be on me. I was devastated.

Later, that week I made it a point to go to my adviser's office hours and discuss my academics. To my surprise, I found out that I was unable to do my internship at the planned time because of prerequisites and I would not be able to graduate on time. I never thought that I could be so upset. Before I left, I asked about the trip to Spain. My adviser encouraged me to find a way to go, that this would be the experience of a life time, as well as get me to graduate on time. I was so excited to hear that and I knew that going to Spain was something that I had to make happen.

It will be hard to scrounge up the remaining 3,000 dollars, I will most likely take out a loan. It will hard to tell my parents and ask for their help. It will be stressful and it will be scary, but it will be one of the best experiences of my life.

So during May 23 and June 25 think of me, hopefully I will be studying in Spain having the time of my life.
Comment by katecaffrey

I would say-- go, go, go!!! I studied last spring in Sevilla and had the time of my life. I miss it so much and I learned a TON. More than most would ever learn staying in America and studying Spanish. Immersing yourself in the culture helps for an understanding of the language and cultural dynamics for sure. I actually stayed a whole month extra after my program ended because I made friends with the Spaniards and just loved the city!

It's totally worth the money :)

Where are you thinking of going?
Posted: Thursday, February 4, 2010 2:38:30 PM

YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS EXPERIENCE HAPPEN! It will change the way you view yourself and the world. Living abroad and working in London for 6 months changed my life. I found out that I was able to do way more than I ever believed I could. I found strengths I never knew I possessed. My experience living in a different country really shaped the way I handle most of my life now. I feel confident that I can make it through most things and I will always make travel an essential aspect of my life.

I'm so excited for you.
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 3:46:48 PM

Well Ladies, I just made it happen!!!! I discussed it with my parents (irrationally and rationally) and I am handing in my application and deposit today!!!! I will be going to Valladolid, Spain from May 24-June 25, 2010. I literally cried for a half an hour after deciding because I am so excited for this experience. Thank you for your support and encouragement, I am going to need it!!
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 3:53:29 PM