Trust and Safety: Two Irrelevant Propositions

chendingxin2011
It has always been difficult for me to associate trust with safety. Trust, more of a state of faith, means believing in someone or something with nothing held back, and of course, with no doubt. However, when it comes to safety, all become erratic and uncertain, because we live in a world where everything is in a sophisticated order and any tiny inaccuracy might end up a jeopardize. Thus, I simply couldn’t imagine how I can trust others to keep me safe, from accident, from hurt, or from sorrow. But what I can do, and what I’ve been doing, is to trust, while not necessarily be safe.
I still remember when I was in the kindergarten, dad is the grandest figure I could ever imagine, both physically and spiritually. It always made me feel secure when I was walking with my dad on the street, with my little fatty hand held firmly in the large. I guess I felt pretty much like a billionaire surrounded by a dozen of safeguards, knowing even though there might be troubles, I would always be protected.
For my entire childhood, what I been enjoying the most was sitting on the back of the bike, with dad pedaling this magical machine into every fairy adventure. Every time I would circle my arm around dad’s waist, even though my arms was always too short to actually make a real circle, I could still feel an invisible shield forming around, keeping me safe from even the largest monster in the world--Yes, I trust my dad.
However, even though I had never been bullied by an ugly monster, I was not always safe. One day when I was 4, dad decided to take me to the park, by BIKE! I flew into ecstasy in no time. I hopped on dad’s bike with utmost rapture as I always was, but what happened next was nothing usual. As my dad began to pedal forward, I hadn’t sat quite steady in the backseat. I took my arms off my dad’s waist and pushed on the seat, just trying to fit in better. However, what I did only ended up the opposite—my tiny arms turned out to be too weak to support the weight of my body, so as my hands slipped, I flipped of the bike like a piece of spaghetti and right onto the ground, with my knees and arms scratched and bleeding.
Yes, in this case, my dad failed to keep me safe, but have I lost trust in him? The answer is definitely no. The truth is I still trust him because I firmly believe that he will always protect me with no reservation, while whether it works or not is totally another thing. Trust is more of an emotional stage in which we can believe others would do all they can for our sake, while being 100% safe is really not us human to control.
So give your trust, and what else can you expect?

Ouch! I guess we live and learn! Great example of trust and safety.
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:36:03 AM

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Trust and Safety writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensTrustandSafety.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 2:44:39 PM