I learned from my father summer breaks can shape your life.

mkestes
Growing up with your parents, often children assume they have always been the people we learn from growing up. over decades of changing and maturing we realize there is a past that helped shape them into the people we identify as our parents. Taking the risk that I may never look at my father the same, I asked him what he did before he was a pharmacist. The answer I got showed me how much more we have in common than I thought.
Sam, my father, has been a pharmacist for over 30 years. He graduated from Ole Miss a year before I existed. He has always been Dr. Estes at our home. I knew nothing about his employment history prior to being a pharmacist. In the summer between his freshman and sophmore year in college my father tried a different career. His freshman elective class had read a book by Og Mandino titled, "The Greatest Salesman on the Earth." This persuaded him that during summer break with his determination and positive attitude, he could make an incredible salesman. He moved to Alabama and began selling the Bible door to door. He attempted to keep a positive outlook and had convinced his parents the summer would be a huge financial success.
He worked very long hours and made few friends. He wrote to my mother often and had decided he wanted to make a difference in her life. His father, Grover, had gallbladder surgery and his heart stopped during the operation. They were able to revive him, but it merely takes a scare to remind one of their own mortality.
He spent most nights alone swimming, only sees his parents twice, and makes few phone calls. He still remembers the date of the only day he sees my mother, July 22. After wrecking his car and paying to repair it, he is left with $1873 for his sales career.
The lessons he learned from this summer proved to be life altering. His sophmore year he married my mother, made a point to visit his parents every chance he got, and put his salesman shoes aside to pursue the medical field. This summer taught him to have goals and chase your dreams but don't forget to spend time with those who are the most important things in your life.