STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I learned from my mother/father that they tied the knot after one month of knowing each other!

yvig92
My whole life I knew that my parents were born in raised in Accra, the capital of the country Ghana, and that both of my grandmothers knew each other prior to my parents meeting. Although I heard stories about their childhood and the hardships they endured, I never knew one important story—how my parents met.

The year was 1990 and my mom, Florie, recently graduated from an all-girls boarding school, after completing the fifth form (the equivalent of two years of college after high school in the British system). Every day, she helped her mom, my grandma Philomena, manage a small shop in town. My dad’s mom, my grandma Mary, stopped by everyday under their gazebo, which was a shelter extending from my mom’s house. Both of my grandmas grew up together and talked with each, catching up on their lives and how their children were doing.

One day, my grandma Philomena told my mom that Mary’s two sons, my uncle Eben and my dad Clarence, lived in the United States. She, along with Grandma Mary, thought it was a good idea for my mom to begin writing letters to Clarence. My mom was hesitant to begin and insisted for him to write the first letter.

In November 1990, she received the first letter from my dad. The first few letters they corresponded with each other detailed information about themselves, as they got to know each other. After the fifth letter, my dad talked to her for the first time on the phone and announced that he was visiting Ghana in a few weeks. My mom was both nervous and ecstatic for the meeting because it would be the first time she saw him face-to-face. Although my dad sent a picture, she still couldn’t imagine what he looked like. She drove with my dad’s brother Newman to pick him up from the airport and for the month my dad visited, he and my mom spent all their time together, went to each other’s homes and decided to get married. After only communicating for a month, my parents got married on January 10, 1991, having the support of their mothers.

At the end of January my dad left and returned to the U.S. to work. In October 1991, my mom joined him and they both moved to Urbana-Champaign, a suburb two hours south of Chicago, Illinois. A year later they built their family after I was born in September 1992.

“Wow!” I exclaimed after my mom told me the story. I was surprised my parents had an awesome love story and I didn’t know it for the first 18 years of my life. I never bothered to ask because I assumed they had known each other their entire lives. Their story reminds me that love is unpredictable. To this day, my parents are happily married after 21 years.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy