I learned from my mother/father that they tied the knot after one month of knowing each other!

yvig92
My whole life I knew that my parents were born in raised in Accra, the capital of the country Ghana, and that both of my grandmothers knew each other prior to my parents meeting. Although I heard stories about their childhood and the hardships they endured, I never knew one important story—how my parents met.

The year was 1990 and my mom, Florie, recently graduated from an all-girls boarding school, after completing the fifth form (the equivalent of two years of college after high school in the British system). Every day, she helped her mom, my grandma Philomena, manage a small shop in town. My dad’s mom, my grandma Mary, stopped by everyday under their gazebo, which was a shelter extending from my mom’s house. Both of my grandmas grew up together and talked with each, catching up on their lives and how their children were doing.

One day, my grandma Philomena told my mom that Mary’s two sons, my uncle Eben and my dad Clarence, lived in the United States. She, along with Grandma Mary, thought it was a good idea for my mom to begin writing letters to Clarence. My mom was hesitant to begin and insisted for him to write the first letter.

In November 1990, she received the first letter from my dad. The first few letters they corresponded with each other detailed information about themselves, as they got to know each other. After the fifth letter, my dad talked to her for the first time on the phone and announced that he was visiting Ghana in a few weeks. My mom was both nervous and ecstatic for the meeting because it would be the first time she saw him face-to-face. Although my dad sent a picture, she still couldn’t imagine what he looked like. She drove with my dad’s brother Newman to pick him up from the airport and for the month my dad visited, he and my mom spent all their time together, went to each other’s homes and decided to get married. After only communicating for a month, my parents got married on January 10, 1991, having the support of their mothers.

At the end of January my dad left and returned to the U.S. to work. In October 1991, my mom joined him and they both moved to Urbana-Champaign, a suburb two hours south of Chicago, Illinois. A year later they built their family after I was born in September 1992.

“Wow!” I exclaimed after my mom told me the story. I was surprised my parents had an awesome love story and I didn’t know it for the first 18 years of my life. I never bothered to ask because I assumed they had known each other their entire lives. Their story reminds me that love is unpredictable. To this day, my parents are happily married after 21 years.