STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I've learned from my father always

tonytonycc
On many an evening, my father, who is short and stout and enjoys tea out of teapots, jumps on a small trampoline in our living room for 30 to 45 minutes*. For exercise, he says. It’s just like running, he says. Remember when he jumped rope a few years ago? It’s almost as good as that, he says.

The week I came home from college last month, we were both in the living room, watching a Yankee game in our typical formation — I was on the couch, and he was burning calories, allegedly. Our conversation jumped around unremarkably, until one thing led to another, which led to something else, which led to my father stating that his grandfather had died while serving in World War II, during the siege in Sevastopol.

All I said was, “Oh.” I might have said, “Wow.” But that’s how it goes in my family**. While my parents go to yoga class and shop at Whole Foods and own an SUV, they can still be very un-American. We have never had Important Family Talks. Information about the past is revealed randomly and sparingly and only when there isn’t any way around it.

But I’ve pieced most of it together. I know he wrestled in high school, until his coach told him he had to cut his long, John Lennon-esque locks to stay on the team. I know he had a previous marriage – I found that out by accident in the car many years ago, after I made some joke about having many wives, and he thought I was serious. He has no secret children. Phew.

I also know that he is unbelievably smart, smarter than I will ever be, and I know he’s come a long way because of that brain. When he first arrived in America in 1981, he washed dishes at an Italian restaurant every night. He did his furniture shopping during spring cleaning season, scouring the Philadelphia streets for old mattresses and tables that could still be used.

Years later, when he was the one enjoying a comfortable suburban life, he had to cope with the sudden death of his father and his mother’s drawn-out and excruciating battle with cancer, somehow suppressing his emotions the entire way to shield his young and mostly unaware child. And he’s never asked anything of me, and he’s spoiled me, and he has more faith in me than I have in myself. But, you know, none of that is ever really said out loud.

So I asked him the question. It sounded odd in my head, and it sounded just as strange when I said it out loud. He looked at me, either amused or confused.

“Something you don’t know? I’m going to lose weight doing this. You’ll see.” And then he kept bouncing.

*Jumps is a stretch — he engages in a slow, rhythmic bounce. If I didn’t love him as much as I do, I would call it a jiggle.
**During a similar night over winter break, he mentioned that his mother and grandma escaped the Holocaust by moving from Ukraine to Moscow just months before the occupation.
Rate this:
Comment by mcoly618

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Parents writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page. We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Congrats again. We look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com. Thanks for helping us in our mission of creating the world's largest pool of cross-generational stories.
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:24:00 PM
Rate this:
Comment by mcoly618

I wanted to personally let you know that your essay is the WINNER from our June 2011 writing contest.

I will, also, be in touch with you via the email you used to register for Stage of Life. I'll work with you on getting your address to send out the prize package.

Congratulations.

Thanks for sharing your voice on StageofLife.com. We look forward to reading more of your viewpoints on the site!

Posted: Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:21:39 PM
Rate this:
Comment by tonytonycc

Thank you!!
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 2:24:13 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy