I learned from my mother about foreign lovers

ntrapp
When I called my mom and asked her to share something with me that I did not already know about her, her first words were, “Oh, this is a dangerous question.” But then my mom laughed and reminded me that she is an open book and I had the freedom to ask whatever I wanted. It was my turn to think of the dangers that could accompany such free reign. I decided to ask the question that every daughter wants to her mom at some point in her life: what is something you did without your parents knowing and if they had, they would have gone crazy?
It’s not that I believe my mom was perfect growing up but I do know that she had to grow up rather quickly and that gave her a mature side. So I was expecting her to confess a time when she snuck out with her girlfriends to a midnight movie or an attempt to push her sister down the stairs or something to that effect. No, not my mom. My mom had a boyfriend when she was visiting her grandmother in Colombia. Yeah, Colombia as in the country in South America! I asked her if it was something really serious or a summer fling but she described it more as a “foreign fling”. My mom kept her relationship a secret because even though her grandmother would have been chill about it, she didn’t want it to get back to her parents because they would have had a cow – her words, not mine.
She couldn’t remember his name while we were talking. Maybe our conversation will bring it back. But it has been almost thirty years since my mom was in that scandalous yet secretive relationship with that Colombian boy. I find it hilarious because I did not see something this big and juicy coming when I first asked my mom to share a secret with me. And what a secret it turned out to be!
I’m trying to think of what the biggest secret I have kept from my parents would be but all I can think of are stupid things like going out dancing the night before a midterm or other stupid stuff like that. I have nothing to compare. But I guess that’s okay because when my daughter will ask me the same question in thirty years, I can tell her about that American Heritage midterm I barely stayed awake for and it won’t be scandalous.