I learned from my father about myself

lmazz8
I was scrolling through the Stageoflife.com website, looking to find a perfect place to share one of my stories that people could hear and hopefully relate to. I came across this particular essay prompt asking me to ask my parents one thing I don't know about them.

I thought,"This is perfect timing. College is coming up for me, and with my departure approaching soon, my parents and I have been bonding way more."

As a girl, I've always naturally been closer with my mom. She's been the person who's been consistently there for me in any situation, whether it's a dilemma in school, friendships, or life. She's taught me many lessons in life that have made me into the person I am today. The connection I have with my mom overpowers my relationship with my dad in a sense, but the fact that I'm attending the same exact college as my dad did is bringing us closer together.

He's getting all nostalgic over the idea of his daughter going to his college. He sees it as a way to bring up stories from his college days, to show me the "best four years of his life." I have to admit the first time I heard one of his stories, I wasn't intrigued. I made the mistake of asking me to tell him what he learned in college. As a result, I dismissed his stories, thinking that this was my time to talk about college, not him. There was no way of stopping him ramble on, but after a while, the rambling turned into some solid advice from him. His stories started to have meaning, and I was beginning to see my college process as our way of strengthening our father-daughter bond.

One night, I was struggling to write a research paper on gender identity for my sociology class. It was not only difficult because of my tendency to be picky with sentence structure and word choice, but it was also difficult because this paper was given to me two weeks before senior year was officially over. Senioritis was creeping on me hard at that point, and writing a seven page paper wasn't working in my favor. I was sitting at the computer staring at the blank Microsoft Word document, eyes struggling to stay open and my body tensing up from all the stress I felt. I needed to take a break.
I went into the kitchen and my dad was sitting down at the table, reading the newspaper.

He put down the newspaper on the table, looked up at me, and said, "How's that paper going?"

I couldn't even fathom to get any words out because I was so stressed out. Instead, tears started streaming down my face.

"Dad, If I can't even write a paper in high school, how am I going to survive in college?" I said to him.

"Honey, in college, you have multiple resources willing to help you. You will have teachers, students, and tutors all looking to help you out. You're only a senior in high school and writing is something you're going to have to do for the rest of your life. You can't escape that." He said while pausing as I started laughing. He's right, writing is everywhere.

"See. There's that smile. You're going to grow so much at college. You're only at the beginning of your learning career."

My dad's words were reassuring and calming me down. I realized that I needed a break from my paper, but more importantly, I needed a breakdown to realize my true potential that is going to grow throughout the rest of my life.