STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I learned from my father about myself

lmazz8
I was scrolling through the Stageoflife.com website, looking to find a perfect place to share one of my stories that people could hear and hopefully relate to. I came across this particular essay prompt asking me to ask my parents one thing I don't know about them.

I thought,"This is perfect timing. College is coming up for me, and with my departure approaching soon, my parents and I have been bonding way more."

As a girl, I've always naturally been closer with my mom. She's been the person who's been consistently there for me in any situation, whether it's a dilemma in school, friendships, or life. She's taught me many lessons in life that have made me into the person I am today. The connection I have with my mom overpowers my relationship with my dad in a sense, but the fact that I'm attending the same exact college as my dad did is bringing us closer together.

He's getting all nostalgic over the idea of his daughter going to his college. He sees it as a way to bring up stories from his college days, to show me the "best four years of his life." I have to admit the first time I heard one of his stories, I wasn't intrigued. I made the mistake of asking me to tell him what he learned in college. As a result, I dismissed his stories, thinking that this was my time to talk about college, not him. There was no way of stopping him ramble on, but after a while, the rambling turned into some solid advice from him. His stories started to have meaning, and I was beginning to see my college process as our way of strengthening our father-daughter bond.

One night, I was struggling to write a research paper on gender identity for my sociology class. It was not only difficult because of my tendency to be picky with sentence structure and word choice, but it was also difficult because this paper was given to me two weeks before senior year was officially over. Senioritis was creeping on me hard at that point, and writing a seven page paper wasn't working in my favor. I was sitting at the computer staring at the blank Microsoft Word document, eyes struggling to stay open and my body tensing up from all the stress I felt. I needed to take a break.
I went into the kitchen and my dad was sitting down at the table, reading the newspaper.

He put down the newspaper on the table, looked up at me, and said, "How's that paper going?"

I couldn't even fathom to get any words out because I was so stressed out. Instead, tears started streaming down my face.

"Dad, If I can't even write a paper in high school, how am I going to survive in college?" I said to him.

"Honey, in college, you have multiple resources willing to help you. You will have teachers, students, and tutors all looking to help you out. You're only a senior in high school and writing is something you're going to have to do for the rest of your life. You can't escape that." He said while pausing as I started laughing. He's right, writing is everywhere.

"See. There's that smile. You're going to grow so much at college. You're only at the beginning of your learning career."

My dad's words were reassuring and calming me down. I realized that I needed a break from my paper, but more importantly, I needed a breakdown to realize my true potential that is going to grow throughout the rest of my life.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy