STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I overcame my fear of the future

salad
For as long as I can remember, my only goal in life has been to become a doctor. And in my second year of college, with “the future” right around the bend, that thought terrified me. I started discovering other interests and realizing that medical school, just getting into medical school, would be much more intense than I had anticipated. The neat picture I had created for my future was beginning to come apart and still I couldn’t bear to let go of it. In that frame of mind, I drifted, panicked, struggled, and somehow persevered through my sophomore year of college.
The idea of being a physician was so simple when I was a kid: I want to make other kids feel better when they’re sick and give them lollipops. And over the course of my adolescence, nothing really challenged that simple motivation. I started learning a little more about what it meant and what it took to be a physician, but all of the difficulties sounded like something I could deal with when I was older and more mature. Suddenly I was 19, I was supposed to be older and mature, and according to the traditional timeline, I would be applying to medical school in a little over a year.
I don’t remember my reaction to that realization exactly, but it was something between a horrified scream and a cold sweat. After that initial shock, though, I sat down to think and plan and question. How am I supposed to get into medical school? CAN I get into medical school? Do I want to? Of course, at the same time, I was doing the sort of growing and exploring that college students do, and I realized that there are classes I enjoy a lot more than integrative biology, my intended major. I want to be a doctor; aren’t I supposed to love biology? Then I did a little more digging and found that being a doctor isn’t at all what I thought it was. It was more: more strenuous but also more exciting.
Over the course of a year and amidst the daily routine of classes, homework, friends, clubs, and YouTube, I found a growing conviction pulling me further on the path I’ve always been on. I do want to be a doctor and I intend to pursue that path. And I now have some idea of what that means. My immediate plans have changed, however, as a result of this difficult and strange year. I plan to major in linguistics, which I’ve discovered a passion for, and take a year off between college and medical school to grow up more and get adjusted to the real world before diving into more schooling. I’ve learned so much from this year about dealing with the confusion life throws at you: sometimes you have to question and wrestle and even despair a little, only to end up in the same place, but you’ll definitely be the better for it.
Rate this:
Comment by mcoly618

Hi, I'm the PR Coordinator for Stage of Life. I'm leaving you this comment to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Overcoming Challenges writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page. We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.
http://www.stageoflife.com/Teen_Challenges.aspx

Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Congrats again. We look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com. Thanks for helping us in our mission of creating the world's largest pool of cross-generational stories.
Posted: Monday, June 6, 2011 6:44:14 PM
Rate this:
Comment by kmorri11

I feel like most people panic during their sophomore year; I definitely did. But I'm glad that you figured out what will make you most happy in the end. That's all that's important!
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 6:58:25 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy