STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I Overcame Helplessness

hmh10
I overcame helplessness.
Never have I felt so helpless as I did that night. One minute, I had been cursing D.H. Lawrence for his lengthy prose, trying to finish my homework, and the next, I was on the phone with 911, my friend having just revealed to me her plans to take her own life.
Thinking back, it’s surprising how calm I was: talking to the four police officers that showed up at the coffeehouse at 1 AM where my friend and I played Cranium, pretending that she hadn’t just told me there were razors under her bed. Taking her back to my room that night, since she refused to go with the police. Laying in bed awake, the longest night of my life, as she slept on my futon. Praying that she wouldn’t try anything tonight, trying to keep those images from running through my head but not being able to stop them.
We made it through the night, both of us, and I got her to the hospital the next morning. They admitted her for the next eight days. Walking back across the quad, seeing everyone talking and laughing and drinking coffee – it was surreal. Everything that had been stressing me out didn’t mean anything anymore. I could feel the weight of what had just happened pressing down on me, suffocating me.
I made it to my room before I fell apart.
My roommate got me through it. She put in Season 9 of Friends, letting me rest my head in her lap until I fell asleep. After that, when night came, I was afraid to go to sleep because of the pictures in my mind. She rubbed my back, brushing my hair until I could finally close my eyes.
The next day, when I went to visit my friend in the hospital, my roommate came with me, even though the two of them have never met. And when we sat in the sterile, indifferent waiting room with my friend, being watched by hospital security, my roommate made small talk when I couldn’t think of anything to say.
On the way back from the hospital and in the days that followed, my roommate kept telling me that my job was over. I wasn’t responsible anymore. I was not a mental health doctor. I had done everything I could.
But a week after that night, I was still a mess. I was wallowing in despair, in fear, in sadness, feeling so incredibly helpless. And then, my roommate pulled me off the bed. “That’s enough,” she said. She told me that I was not the one who was depressed. That I had a good life, an amazing family, incredible friends who cared about me. That I couldn’t let this ruin my life. That I could still be there for my friend without shouldering all the responsibility by myself. That I wasn’t alone. That it was time to move on.
And, finally, I listened.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy