STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

The End of a Chapter

mcoly618
Two Saturdays ago, (wow, it has been that long already!) my boyfriend and I participated in the graduation ceremony at Kutztown University. In my enormous cap and gown, I entered a room that felt like it was 100 degrees, filled with thousands of people. All the professors created a tunnel for us to walk through, shaking our hands and waving to us. The ushers seated us, and I quickly found my family through the sea of audience members. My boyfriend and I waved at them and they took about a million and one pictures of us.

Then the ceremony started…and almost 2 hours later, we were getting ready to walk up on stage, have our names called, and receive our degrees. The usher pointed at our row and my heart raced. We slowly filed out, like ants, and took the slow walk to the stage. My family waved and shouted at us and we waved back, smiling from ear to ear. Up the ramp we went, handing our cards to the assistant dean of our college, she congratulated us then handed the card to the announcer (the dean of our college).

My heart pounded and I think I even went deaf…Megan I. Colyer… I walked quickly across the stage to President Cevallos, the President of Kutztown University, shook his hand and proceeded do the ramp to get my official picture taken. Apparently, my family and friends shouted and wahoo’d me, but with the excitement of it all, I didn’t hear a thing. I saw my writing professors in the front row waving at me and snagged a hug from my boss, before filing back into the row of ants and being seated.

The rest of the ceremony seemed to drag on forever, and when it ended it took just as long for us to all make our way out in the single file fashion they would have liked. When we had made our way to just about the exit, we heard our names and turned to see camera flashes from all different angles. We went into the doorway and for the next few moments, it was just Jordan and I in the auditorium with the other graduates, just smiling because we were so happy and proud.

Finally, my phone rang and it was my brother, attempting to find us in the sea of maroon caps and gowns. I spotted him and we took off to meet them. There was a multitude of hugs, congratulations, and pictures for the next 20 minutes and then we realized that we had all walked to the ceremony because of the beautiful weather and small amount of available parking, but what was once beautiful weather had turned into a downpour.

We walked, me in my four-inch heels and dress, and the rest of the family too. We made our way through the madness of the traffic and people down some back streets and into town, to the Tavern. We already had reservations, so we were seated promptly, despite our soggy appearance.

The day had turned out nicely and all the hard work seemed worth it. I smiled so much, my cheeks hurt, and I think all the camera flashes might have seriously damaged my vision, but honestly, it was one of the best days of my life.

Rate this:
Comment by michness

I am so excited for you, girl! Congrats!
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 2:27:13 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy