The End of a Chapter

mcoly618
Two Saturdays ago, (wow, it has been that long already!) my boyfriend and I participated in the graduation ceremony at Kutztown University. In my enormous cap and gown, I entered a room that felt like it was 100 degrees, filled with thousands of people. All the professors created a tunnel for us to walk through, shaking our hands and waving to us. The ushers seated us, and I quickly found my family through the sea of audience members. My boyfriend and I waved at them and they took about a million and one pictures of us.

Then the ceremony started…and almost 2 hours later, we were getting ready to walk up on stage, have our names called, and receive our degrees. The usher pointed at our row and my heart raced. We slowly filed out, like ants, and took the slow walk to the stage. My family waved and shouted at us and we waved back, smiling from ear to ear. Up the ramp we went, handing our cards to the assistant dean of our college, she congratulated us then handed the card to the announcer (the dean of our college).

My heart pounded and I think I even went deaf…Megan I. Colyer… I walked quickly across the stage to President Cevallos, the President of Kutztown University, shook his hand and proceeded do the ramp to get my official picture taken. Apparently, my family and friends shouted and wahoo’d me, but with the excitement of it all, I didn’t hear a thing. I saw my writing professors in the front row waving at me and snagged a hug from my boss, before filing back into the row of ants and being seated.

The rest of the ceremony seemed to drag on forever, and when it ended it took just as long for us to all make our way out in the single file fashion they would have liked. When we had made our way to just about the exit, we heard our names and turned to see camera flashes from all different angles. We went into the doorway and for the next few moments, it was just Jordan and I in the auditorium with the other graduates, just smiling because we were so happy and proud.

Finally, my phone rang and it was my brother, attempting to find us in the sea of maroon caps and gowns. I spotted him and we took off to meet them. There was a multitude of hugs, congratulations, and pictures for the next 20 minutes and then we realized that we had all walked to the ceremony because of the beautiful weather and small amount of available parking, but what was once beautiful weather had turned into a downpour.

We walked, me in my four-inch heels and dress, and the rest of the family too. We made our way through the madness of the traffic and people down some back streets and into town, to the Tavern. We already had reservations, so we were seated promptly, despite our soggy appearance.

The day had turned out nicely and all the hard work seemed worth it. I smiled so much, my cheeks hurt, and I think all the camera flashes might have seriously damaged my vision, but honestly, it was one of the best days of my life.

Comment by michness

I am so excited for you, girl! Congrats!
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 2:27:13 AM