STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

I overcame--No, God helped me overcome

desire90
June 14th, 2010.
Me: I guess we're dating then, huh?
Blake: Yeah, it seems that way.
Me: Cool.
Blake: Very cool!

The start of the best relationship I've ever been in. He's an amazing man who has grown to be my best friend, my love, and the man I hope who will be in my life in the far future. He and I are inseparable. The only thing that separates us is work or personal errands.

June 15th, 2010.
Dad: Hope all your stuff is packed cause you won't be seeing it for....a while.......
Me: How long is "a while"?
Dad: Could be a few weeks, it could be months. I can't give you an answer.

14 days after I graduated high school, we, by definition, became "homeless". Our house was short sold and my parents didn't have jobs to support our family, we had no money to find a place to live. We had 2 cars, which barely functioned properly, our pillows and a duffel bag with some clothes and toothbrushes. Our next question..."Where do we go?".

Some good friends of ours lived in Colorado and told us to drive and get up there to stay with them until something came around with work for them. We stayed with them for 2 weeks, then came back down to Arizona to attempt to find work again....nothing. No jobs, no possible leads, just a wasteland of no hope.

My boyfriend saw me at my worst the very first month we were together, I had constant break downs or worry and fear and he was there to encourage that things will get better.

Our next journey, we stayed with a family who lived in the middle of no where lands. Cow manure and dirt filled the air in 110 degree weather. The family was "interesting" to say the least. My brother and I got along with their kids great, but we had some issues that terminated our stay with them. We were with them for a month, 20 miles away from anyone else we knew. My boyfriend made that trip out to see me every night and tell me no matter where I was he was going to try and be there to help me through this.

After our stay there, we moved back into the city area where we were originally and stayed with an older couple. We were there for a month. My boyfriend continued to come see me every night to see how I was holding up. He took me out every so often to a nice dinner, a movie, just a night to get my mind off the stress that was piling up daily. This situation was weighing my parents down even more so to know that they weren't providing the best care for my brother and I as they have tried to do in the past.

Due to more issues with the couple, we moved out and went to another family, where we stayed for 4 months in one bedroom. My father, mother, brother and I shared a small room, 1 bathroom for 4 months. My brother and I slept on the floor and my parents got the bed. We learned to adapt to the small space and pressure we were all under. Even through the pressure, shortly lived patience at times, my boyfriend was there to help all of us through this time. God bless the woman and the son that opened their home to us for so long. Nancy, she is in her late 60's, possibly early 70's (i'm not sure) let us use her room, while she took a spare. Her son, Ron, has been in a wheelchair for 29 years due to a horrible motorcycle accident when he was younger. It caused major brain damage and he can no longer walk.

Nancy was the closet thing to a grandmother that I have ever had and it was great getting to know her and have her teach me things that any grandmother would do for her grandkids. She took care of us and her son for 4 months. She is and was a great blessing to us!

One day, my mom got a phone call for an interview for a job with a top company and she ended up landing the job. It then gave us hope to have money to rent a house. My dad and brother were out for a walk one day and ran into some old friends of ours who were renting their house out for around the price range we were looking for just down the street from Nancy.

We got the house and have been here for 5 months now. My boyfriend and I will have been together for 1 year next month and he continues to be a blessing to me and I hope I am a blessing to him. He has been absolutely incredible and patient with my situation.

I know I couldn't have gone through this by myself or with just my family, God sent someone at the right time to be there for me and my family. Someone who was heaven sent. We had many blessings in the midst of struggling times. Nancy is still like my grandmother, we love her dearly!

My mother had to quit her job not long ago, so at this current time, my brother and I are bringing in income. This will have been the 3rd time we were "homeless", I like to think of it more as a freedom experience. Isn't it everyone's dream to travel and not have to worry about being tied down to a house? It was hard times, but it helped my family grow together once again.

God was always with us, no matter what state we were in. We always relied on Him and He always came through for us. We have to struggle to learn, and we learn to pass our knowledge on to others and help others if they need it. I thank God everyday for the blessings He has given us. I wouldn't be who I am or where I am if it wasn't for Him. He does wonders that some are too blind to see. Always thank God for what he has provided because it can be taken away within a heartbeat.

PS. Sorry if the story seems chopping, this would probably be much much longer if it wasn't consolidated.

Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy