Media: The Good, the Bad, and the Impact?

PabloQ
The media has so much power in today’s generation. They are the train that
drives our daily lives by influencing our society in different aspects of our lives. The
media makes millions of dollars with the advertisements that people are exposed to as
the audience. We make our decisions based on what we see on television,
newspapers, magazines, radio, and the Internet. Of all the media distribution
channels the most influential has been the television. We are constantly exposed to
thousands of images that show violence, different advertisements, sex, celebrities, and
much more.
Our younger generation has been influenced by the media. Children and young
adults are spending more time playing violent video games and watching television
shows that contain violent and sexual content. This affects our younger generation by
becoming less family-oriented and successful business people. In the past there have
been incidents where children have taken a weapon to school to purposely injure
others. The media can be blamed to some extent by exposing young adults to violence.
Many media outlets can also alter information to make it seem more appealing and
exciting for viewers.
We do, however, live in a society that depends on information and
communication to keep us moving in the right direction. It is important to know what is
going on around the world because it affects everybody in one way or another. People
need to stay informed about simple things, such as the weather, the economy, and the
government. A regular family usually wakes up, checks the newspaper, television,
radio, Internet, goes to work, and makes decisions based on information gathered from
co-workers, television, radio, Internet, friends, family. This, in other words, is
the cycle of information that people use in order to stay informed.
What we need to be aware of is that most of our decisions, beliefs, and values
are based on our assumptions, experiences, and facts. At work we usually know what
needs to be done. However, in our daily lives we rely on the media to get the current
news and facts to be better informed citizens. We
have put our trust in the media as an authority to give us news, entertainment, and
education. The influence of mass media on our children, teenagers, and society is
so big that we should know how it really works to provide a better opportunity and future
for all.
The media has been a great influence and impact on our younger generation.
We should be able to address the media through the government and have the
power to regulate what is put into the public eye. Our future depends on our power to
regulate, and our younger generation depends on what changes or restrictions is
implemented on violent video games, war and sex movies. The media should provide a
means to educate and warn the younger generation on the consequence of violence
and misbehavior that will impact their future goals and dreams.

Pablo Quirindongo
De Vry University
813-361-7147