Media: Who’s Smarter--The Phone, or Me?

Coteje
If I had to pick just one of the many types of media, I would choose a smartphone with a data plan. This option gives me the greatest flexibility providing real-time information. It does have a few drawbacks in viewing and security but overall provides the maximum benefits. This form of media influences me the most because it incorporates virtually all mainstream media outlets including news, weather, banking, and phone services. I am going to focus on news, weather, and banking and finally discuss why the deficiencies don’t affect my determination to use a smartphone for my media needs.

You can obtain news today in so many ways without turning on a television. You can get all the headlines from your favorite channel using a smartphone because they all have a website now. In addition, all of your favorite newspapers can be viewed online. Think of the convenience and the environmental benefit of not having to print and dispose of hard copy newspapers.

You can get real-time weather so you can track your day’s events. Think of an after work group bicycle ride, and the weather forecast calls for rain. Now using your phone, you can track the weather and make a more informed decision on riding or cancelling in a timelier manner. You can see how this maximizes your ability to make last minute changes without affecting everyone in a negative way. Let’s say you cancelled your ride, and we are going to shop.

Let us shop! Maybe banking is a concern for you. Banking services are another activity that a smartphone is capable of handling very effectively in the 21st century. From being able to check balances to transferring money to the account, you need it in ensuring your ability to make the important purchase without enduring the “insufficient funds available” embarrassment. Most banks provide online services or in some cases only provide online services, and the handiness of a smartphone is becoming an invaluable tool to monitor any busy on the go individual’s monetary status. However, not all great things come without some cost, and the smartphone is no exception.

There are a few disadvantages with smartphone’s media interfaces. One of those is the small size of the viewing screen. These instruments got smaller and smaller, and now they are starting to increase in size as the viewing screen is becoming more important.

Another concern of these devices is lack of security. Someone intercepting your banking transactions would not be good. The wireless nature makes it so practical also creates some challenges because they send your sensitive information over open-air waves.

For me, the timesaving benefits of on-line news, real-time weather updates, and banking far outweigh the risks of potential security breaches. Although they have a smaller screen than a notebook monitor does, and you can take it to more places with less inconvenience, I believe this is the wave of the future in mainstream media.
James Cote
DeVry
Comment by ferby444

Your entry is very descriptive and tells alot about the smartphone that people can learn from. You have nice grammar and spacing. Well nice work ! (:
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 2:06:00 PM