STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Media: My Mental Health Checker

kaleighsomers
I fell into the blogging world the way most kids end up in recreational soccer leagues. My mother, always searching out some way to help her children, told me it was a good idea.

"You need an online presence," she insisted. I might've groaned. Probably, I did.

She's an avid Writer's Digest subscriber. Each issue is read cover-to-cover before it's shipped off to me.

So that's how it happened. Just one blog post at a time. Like trudging up a steep hill in the middle of a rainstorm. Often, I thought, I wasn't making any progress.

I didn't plan on getting sucked into some vortex. In fact, I don't think I even understood blogging much at all.

But then I stumbled across Hannah's blog, and that changed.

Here was a girl who wrote about dreams written in chalk across the sidewalks, about jumping in puddles filled with passion. Here was a girl who told the world what demons she faced and let that admission's honesty empower rather than stifle her.

And with Hannah came Emily, who helped me bridge two otherwise huge barriers between a 20-year-old American girl and a 25-year-old British woman: a cultural divide and an age gap.

After Emily, there was J, who, at 40-something, continues to enlighten me. She sees the world through a child's kaleidoscope, morphing it into whatever she wants it to be.

And that, to me, is what blogging (and really all media) has become. It's opened this door to a world where some of your best friends become people whose faces you see through a screen. Whose voices you imagine as you scan words on that screen.

Blogs are short and sweet and to the point. They take a concept, albeit small, and shove it under a microscope to magnify it. Pulling a larger concept into focus.

I've been blessed to stumble across blogs that inspire and encourage me. These writers' posts stack up on my Wordpress subscriptions page and I hoard them like Halloween candy. I savor the enthusiasm they have for life and I let that pull me out of a rough day, week or month.

When push comes to shove, I turn to the rock in my life that ironically shifts with each new post. I scan archives for my favorite sentences and images of a life I've never lived, but one I can relate to. And I try to find a moment in each busy day to take a deep breath, read a few lines, and reflect.

Pause. Reflect. Move on. A recipe for digesting media. Because when I can filter out out the bad and focus on the good, I use blogs as a mental health checker. For that, I have some wonderful women to thank.

Maybe if I’d been like everyone else and played in a recreational soccer league growing up, I wouldn't feel the need to follow bloggers. Unfortunately, I'm more than a little uncoordinated.

So for now, I'll read and write.
Rate this:
Comment by michness

kaleighsomers,

I'm the Writing Intern for StageofLife.com.

We wanted to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Media writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

Here's the link to the contest summary page. We'll be formally announcing the winner soon.
http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandMedia.aspx

Two things...
1) Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you via email (the one you used to register for StageofLife.com) to see if you'd like to be named in our national press release going out via PR Newswire.
2) Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Congrats again. We look forward to seeing more of your essays/writing on StageofLife.com. Thanks for helping us in our mission of creating the world's largest pool of cross-generational stories.

Michelle
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 3:34:26 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy