Media: Trollolol

michness
If you asked my roommates to describe me, they would jump to say, “Michelle lives on the internet.” I don’t know about the verb choice “lives,” but I do spend quite a bit of time on one website in particular… Tumblr.

Sure, I text—mostly my two best friends from home, to keep in touch. I’ll call my mom every now and then to keep her up to date on points of interest in my life (“We went grocery shopping today and bought five boxes of cereal… they were on sale!”). I listen to my ipod whenever I drive, and when I work out at the gym. I don’t really use Facebook (although I check it a few times a day), and I have a MySpace account somewhere. And television… Oh, television. It is like an aphrodisiac at night, after a long day of class-work-gym-homework-chores.

But Tumblr is an addiction. For those of you who have not yet fallen into the lucrative clutches of Tumblr, it is an image-centered blogging platform. It is also a solid introduction to what I call “internet culture”: memes, lulz, trolls, anons, and gifs; rage guy, hipster kitty, Disco Voldy, and Rebecca Black… If there is something hip on the internet, I probably already know about it via Tumblr. I often introduce my roommates to these videos and gifs so they can understand meme related status updates (“Why is everyone saying it’s Friday?! It is Tuesday!”). Mostly, I use Tumblr for the lulz—the laughs. A sense of humor is extremely important to me, and I love anyone or anything that can make me laugh so hard it hurts my stomach—and Tumblr makes me do that on a daily basis.

The media is pretty important to me; I’m sure if I needed to, I could live without texting, my ipod, or Tumblr—but I choose not to. Even though I may joke about it, I actually do have a life; I am not so addicted to media that it interferes with my life. That being said, I don’t think the growth of media is necessarily a bad thing. So long as you approach each tool with moderation, media use can be entertaining. People tend to overreact to new trends, and I wonder if that’s not what’s happening in this case. Wasn’t there just as much frenzy of “we are going to be spending less time with our families this must be the end of the world zomg technology” when the radio or television was first introduced? My point is this: You can still spend time with loved ones and remain “connected” to media. Just don’t let texting or Facebook define who you are.
Comment by Justina

Haha, oddly, I've never caught on to the appeal of tumblr. I mean, I created my first account back in summer '09 but I didn't find it addicting in the least. It mainly consisted of people re-blogging arbitrary quotes and pictures with clever sayings. I guess it just wasn't my cup of tea.

I do think lolcats is funny, though. And all those other wonderful internet memes.

"Just don’t let texting or Facebook define who you are. " I shall heed your advice!
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:47:50 AM
Comment by michness

For Tumblr--it depends what types of blogs you follow. I follow a lot of humor based blogs, and so I successfully avoid all of the artsy quotes/picture images.
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2011 4:38:02 PM
Comment by Rani

I can really relate to this story it keep my attention the whole time I was reading.