Media: The Facebook Juggernaut

wordsareart
If Facebook were a nation, it would be the third most-populated country. With more than 600 million users from dozens of countries, the site has become a kind of international common thread. Facebook allows a woman living beachside in California to see pictures of her newborn nephew in Vermont before the ink has dried on the birth certificate, and I shudder imagining the number of burgeoning romances quashed because one partner didn’t indicate that he was “In a Relationship” within the first forty-eight hours of dating. Facebook has evolved into a dating service, forum for expression, voyeuristic dream, and major source of social interaction. After all, if you don’t friend people, how the heck are you supposed to know what’s going on in their lives? Phone calls are so 20th century. Facebook’s variety of uses as well as its inescapable cultural presence (The Social Network comes to mind) lead me to believe Facebook is the most influential form of media today.

The power of Facebook isn’t easily defined. Some use it strictly to keep in touch with friends and family. Meanwhile, others document every moment of their lives, broadcasting each move to an audience of friends (which may include a smattering of actual, real-life friends along with hundreds of vague acquaintances, third cousins twice removed, frenemies, conservative great aunts, college professors, and co-workers). I am aware of the most intimate details of my high school classmates’ lives; I know who is getting divorced at 22, who is preparing to graduate summa cum laude, who has moved to Vegas to pole dance, and who has traded in football practice for burger flipping. True, I could choose not to read friends’ status updates, but I must admit the temptation is too much for a mere mortal to resist. If you are looking for a way to mindlessly waste a few minutes, what better entertainment could there be than a live soap opera performed by a cast of characters you are personally familiar with? Unsurprisingly, this uncensored flow of personal information also regularly leads to bosses becoming angered with trash-talking employees, cell phone pictures of a drunken Saturday night falling into the wrong hands, and ample opportunities to write something inflammatory. More so than other forms of media, Facebook provides users with the means to connect with millions worldwide as well as to destroy their own lives in a few keystrokes.

Virtually every business—from Coca Cola to the dive bar down the street—has a Facebook page. Colleges and high schools use Facebook for study groups. In 2008, politicians appealed to the youngest voters via Facebook, and major news networks plug their Facebook pages before each commercial break. Facebook has permeated every facet of modern life, and with mobile updates now available, users don’t even need to be near a computer to get their social networking fix. While newspapers, television, music, and similar social networking sites provide alternatives to Facebook, no other form of modern media has such an undeniable presence.
Comment by michness

wordsareart,

I'm the Writing Intern for StageofLife.com.

We wanted to let you know that your essay for our Teens and Media writing contest was one of the finalists. Congratulations!

http://www.stageoflife.com/TeensandMedia.aspx

Two things...
1) Megan, our PR Coordinator, will be in touch with you via email (the one you used to register for StageofLife.com) to see if you'd like to be named in our national press release going out via PR Newswire.
2) Feel free to share this news with your friends and family. To be named an essay finalists in our national writing competition is a big deal. Our previous winners have been talked about on TIME.com and other media outlets.

Michelle
Comment by Guest

Posts: 2,760
Superior thinking dmeonstraetd above. Thanks!
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 8:32:37 AM
Comment by Ammy901

Hi, wordsareart! It's really interesting thoughts. You know, the number of peaople in facebook has increased. I've written similar article when I was at college. You can check it at https://pro-papers.com/research-papers-writing-service. I get your point. So, keep writing and you become a great writer.
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 12:36:51 PM