Media: Effects on Teens

markjensen
“But mom! All the celebrities are wearing this! Why can’t I? I just want to be rich and cool like them!” This is a very common argument with American parents and their children. Kids are looking up to celebrities more and more. It is always getting easier for them to see the celebrities and there are plenty of shows that don’t mind showing the bad stuff. Teens all around the nation look up to the celebrities, they are rich, happy (or so it seems), and beautiful! What teen doesn’t want that? Teens are too easily persuaded by the famous people in America. It wouldn’t be as big as an issue if only there were a lot more genuine celebs out there.
Celebrities this day and age are extremely self-centered and don’t understand that there are people in the nation, or even the world, that look up to them. They don’t understand that they have people that actually want to be like them because maybe they are good at singing, or maybe a great actor, but when they aren’t doing what we look up to them for, they are usually being stupid. I don’t understand it, I really don’t. Honest good people that are skilled at things who eventually become famous, turn into crazy people! They get a lot of money and get their pictures taken a lot, but somehow they forget who they are, and who they are is what them famous in the first place.
I wish that there were more genuine celebs in the world today. I really think that other nations just laugh at us and think we are stupid because that is what our celebs do, they make us look stupid and they make us look like we are not professional at all. Celebrities hold so much more power then they think and I think that the sooner they realize that, the better this country, or even world, will be.