STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

The Secret of Happiness: Discovery

katherineochoa
It can be hard to imagine that my childhood was a happy one despite not knowing who my parents were. My aunt, who would come visit me and take me out would teach me their names. I would recite their names back to her in monotone. She would make me sit away from her students and write out the alphabet in silence during her classroom sessions. My grandparents didn’t treat me like a child even though I was five years old. They were my guardians and despite what my aunt said I believed they were my real parents.

I grew up in a chosa with them in a mountainous area filled with vegetation. There was always something to discover and my grandparents let me explore it without expectations. I would get lost for hours in the surrounding forest thinking about what life was, a question I still haven’t found the answer to. I wasn’t taught to fear questions or their possible answers. I was taught to just accept them as they came.

One of earliest memories was finding strange looking flower and giving it to grandmother to smell. She smiled when I showed it to her asking me, “Would you like to learn the proper way to smell a flower?” I was puzzled that there was a proper way to do something.

She gently held the flower at the stem and with her other hand spread her fingers over the petals. She put her nose close to her fingers and inhaled slowly.

She handed it back to me, “Why don’t you try it?” When I did the scent was light and filtered. She explained that the bugs rely on flowers for food and like to roam the petals we like to smell.

“If you aren’t careful and inhale too closely you could suck them into your nostrils and take them away from their home.” Suddenly it made sense. We were all just trying to make our way in the world. Being considerate to even the smallest creatures was the proper way to do things. I wanted to understand the world around me. My grandmother said that she wouldn’t have all the answers but if I watched and listened intently enough the answer would come.

I spent time watching nature and it became alive. It was awake while I dozed off to cicadas and owls calling to family, and it woke me in the morning to birds and crickets singing by the stream. I watched the darkness become mornings, helped the ants find food, I watched the frogs shed their skin and eat it for nutrients, I heard the wolf calling for a friend who drifted too far, and the bats frantically beating their wings because they were frightened.

What connects us to the world is not our presence within it but our desire to want to understand it. I watched nature and it showed me life and it taught me death.
Rate this:
Comment by Himanshu12

Hey thanks for suggesting me to play the world famous online spades game with all unlocked level. I really enjoyed it a lot to play the spades with my friends to have fun in my boring time.
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 9:46:06 AM
Rate this:
Comment by ElizaPt

Your way of telling the whole thing in this piece of writing is genuinely pleasant, every one be capable of without difficulty be aware of it, Thanks a lot.
Posted: Monday, March 4, 2019 10:11:46 AM
Rate this:
Comment by ElizaPt

Your way of telling the whole thing in this piece of writing is genuinely pleasant, every one be capable of without difficulty be aware of it, Thanks a lot.
Posted: Monday, March 4, 2019 10:12:49 AM
Rate this:
Comment by ElizaPt

Posted: Monday, March 4, 2019 10:14:14 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy