The Secret of Happiness: Becoming More Like Jesus

violinfreak8
For 18 years, I had been searching for the secret of happiness. I looked for happiness in my grades, my musical career, my friendships, my family, and my relationship. These provided happiness, don’t get me wrong, but only temporary happiness.

I found the secret of happiness the last month of my freshman year when I accepted Jesus Christ into my life as my Lord and Savior. The moment I said yes to Jesus, the Holy Spirit entered into me, and he made me aware of areas of my life I needed to work on in order to become more like Jesus. The transformation process has not been easy, but it has allowed me to experience true, permanent happiness for the first time.

God started with my relationship with my boyfriend. He took the blinders off of my eyes and helped me recognize that my relationship was not God-honoring or God-centered. He told me the hard and painful truth that I desired to be loved and accepted by my boyfriend instead of finding this love and acceptance in my Heavenly Father. Though the work is not completed, my relationship is so much better now than it ever was before. I experience true happiness in my relationship because I am no longer searching for things in him that I should be searching for in Jesus.

Next, he moved to my career. At the beginning of this year, I was a sophomore violin performance major with big dreams of becoming famous and playing in a major orchestra. God found a major problem with my heart behind these dreams, though. My dreams were exactly that: mine. They had no intentions of being used for God’s glory or to expand God’s kingdom. They were simply for my personal gain and not for God’s. Again, he reminded me that my talent is not my own, and that he gave it to me so that he could work through me. Since then, he has completely changed the way I view my career and my future. Now when I play, I am no longer looking for validation from others. I am no longer working hard and practicing for hours in order to reach my own view of success. Now, I play to the glory of God, and I have experienced an entirely new level of happiness from this.

The most recent transformation has occurred in how I spend the precious time that I have on this earth. God allowed me to see that I have believed the lie that society preaches that says that success is based on how full your schedule is, how many sleepless nights you endure, and how exhausted you are. However, God says the key to success is loving him with all of your heart, mind, body, and soul and resting in him and his promises.

Every day, I am becoming more like Jesus. Every day, I experience the secret of happiness, true and permanent happiness, in a new and overwhelming way.