STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

The Secret of Happiness: Becoming More Like Jesus

violinfreak8
For 18 years, I had been searching for the secret of happiness. I looked for happiness in my grades, my musical career, my friendships, my family, and my relationship. These provided happiness, don’t get me wrong, but only temporary happiness.

I found the secret of happiness the last month of my freshman year when I accepted Jesus Christ into my life as my Lord and Savior. The moment I said yes to Jesus, the Holy Spirit entered into me, and he made me aware of areas of my life I needed to work on in order to become more like Jesus. The transformation process has not been easy, but it has allowed me to experience true, permanent happiness for the first time.

God started with my relationship with my boyfriend. He took the blinders off of my eyes and helped me recognize that my relationship was not God-honoring or God-centered. He told me the hard and painful truth that I desired to be loved and accepted by my boyfriend instead of finding this love and acceptance in my Heavenly Father. Though the work is not completed, my relationship is so much better now than it ever was before. I experience true happiness in my relationship because I am no longer searching for things in him that I should be searching for in Jesus.

Next, he moved to my career. At the beginning of this year, I was a sophomore violin performance major with big dreams of becoming famous and playing in a major orchestra. God found a major problem with my heart behind these dreams, though. My dreams were exactly that: mine. They had no intentions of being used for God’s glory or to expand God’s kingdom. They were simply for my personal gain and not for God’s. Again, he reminded me that my talent is not my own, and that he gave it to me so that he could work through me. Since then, he has completely changed the way I view my career and my future. Now when I play, I am no longer looking for validation from others. I am no longer working hard and practicing for hours in order to reach my own view of success. Now, I play to the glory of God, and I have experienced an entirely new level of happiness from this.

The most recent transformation has occurred in how I spend the precious time that I have on this earth. God allowed me to see that I have believed the lie that society preaches that says that success is based on how full your schedule is, how many sleepless nights you endure, and how exhausted you are. However, God says the key to success is loving him with all of your heart, mind, body, and soul and resting in him and his promises.

Every day, I am becoming more like Jesus. Every day, I experience the secret of happiness, true and permanent happiness, in a new and overwhelming way.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy