Second Chances: Shaken, Not Scarred

srija chakraborty
I honestly think that the term ‘second chances’ is pretty clichéd. But these couple of words hold a great deal of significance in our lives. Even in this age of technological advancement, people are prone to messing up and falling prey to the immoral ways of life. It is human nature, I guess. But then, as the proverb goes- to err is human; to forgive is divine. Obviously there are some things which simply cannot and perhaps should not be forgiven; nevertheless if a simple ‘sorry’ can brighten up someone’s day and bring a smile on their face, in my opinion, second chances are totally worth it. The following incident took place a few years back, when I was in school. There was this friend of mine called Shantanu in the building next to ours. When we were in class ten, his father took a new job and moved to Oman. His mother also went away with his father to take care of him and his elder sister was away somewhere in the south of India studying medical. He was a pretty decent guy; never loitering around after seven in the evening, never courting trouble of any sort etc. Also he was an amazing artist- the pictures he drew seemed to literally pop out of the canvas. Everything was fine at first. His grandparents moved in with him to take care of him and his sister flew in once a month. All the kids in our complex used to play together every evening. Then suddenly Shantanu stopped playing with us; he neither came to the games room nor the playground. When we called his granddad, he said he caught some sort of allergy. Finally Shantanu recovered but more such ‘allergies’ followed. Then I got to know from my mother that Shantanu had started taking drugs; some friend at school had introduced him to it. Who would have even in his worst nightmares imagined that Shantanu would start taking drugs? Gradually, both his health and his behaviour started taking a turn for the worse. He started buying small packets from the roadside shops and even started lying when caught red-handed! His grades started declining and he even lost out on some art scholarship that he had applied for. His mother flew back to India and finally it was decided that he needed rehabilitation. Everyone in our complex was concerned. A few weeks later we got news that he was improving. After five months he came back from the rehab centre. And obviously he was kept under close watch; just in case he relapsed. Gradually he came around to being the Shantanu we knew. See, I know there are countless people who become victims of substance abuse and get into rehab etc, but this fellow made use of the second chance that life gave him. It might not be a miraculous incident but it sure helped me to appreciate this whole ‘second chances’ thing much more.