Winning the Lottery: To Win a Smile

Rachel Nipp
A $40 tip placed in a glass jar at a coffee bar.
A $10 bill hidden to discover within the cover
Of “Anne of Green Gables” and a booklet of fables.
A chicken salad croissant or whatever they want
Behind me in the drive thru in the Chevy Malibu.
Coins left at the bottom of vending machines.
Dollars tucked in the pockets of donated jeans.
Rolled up bills in the cup holder at the movie theater.
For a moviegoer or the guy who has to sweep it up later.
A trip to Sorrento to see the sea- that one I’ll admit is just for me.
A parking meter paid for on Birch.
$100 tossed in the plate at the church.
A fifty flapping in the wind behind windshield wipers
And at Wal-Mart slipped neatly into a box of diapers.
On a plane
On a bus
On a train
At the park
At the gym
For her, for him
Hanging from trees
Strewn across the streets
Falling from buildings
Flying through the sky
Make it rain!
Make it rain!

Curled gently around an egg in an egg carton.

“Charity begins at home” is how the Proverb goes.

Finding unexpected money will not directly save a person’s life. Maybe it will just buy someone a mocha at Starbucks or a new video game.
Maybe it will buy them a flower for their wife. Maybe it will buy them a coat for their kid. Maybe it will stop them from taking that man’s wallet. Maybe it will buy them bread for their table.
Maybe it will make their day and make them smile. Because if I do nothing else in this life, let me at least leave behind a smile.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your November Winning the Lottery essay being selected as a finalist in the running for our first place essay!

We are in the process of voting on the top essay, and will notify all finalists with a follow up message by December 23rd.

You can check this page after December 31st 2015 for all the writing contest results::

Posted: Monday, December 7, 2015 7:58:55 PM
Comment by admin

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your November Winning the Lottery essay being selected our first place essay!

We will be contacting you via your registration email for prize details.

Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 11:15:15 PM
Comment by Rachel Nipp

Yay, thank you so much! Let me know if I should have already gotten the email; I might have missed it.
Posted: Monday, January 4, 2016 7:52:58 PM