STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Winning the Lottery: To Win a Smile

Rachel Nipp
A $40 tip placed in a glass jar at a coffee bar.
A $10 bill hidden to discover within the cover
Of “Anne of Green Gables” and a booklet of fables.
A chicken salad croissant or whatever they want
Behind me in the drive thru in the Chevy Malibu.
Coins left at the bottom of vending machines.
Dollars tucked in the pockets of donated jeans.
Rolled up bills in the cup holder at the movie theater.
For a moviegoer or the guy who has to sweep it up later.
A trip to Sorrento to see the sea- that one I’ll admit is just for me.
A parking meter paid for on Birch.
$100 tossed in the plate at the church.
A fifty flapping in the wind behind windshield wipers
And at Wal-Mart slipped neatly into a box of diapers.
On a plane
On a bus
On a train
At the park
At the gym
For her, for him
Hanging from trees
Strewn across the streets
Falling from buildings
Flying through the sky
Make it rain!
Make it rain!

Curled gently around an egg in an egg carton.

“Charity begins at home” is how the Proverb goes.

Finding unexpected money will not directly save a person’s life. Maybe it will just buy someone a mocha at Starbucks or a new video game.
Maybe it will buy them a flower for their wife. Maybe it will buy them a coat for their kid. Maybe it will stop them from taking that man’s wallet. Maybe it will buy them bread for their table.
Maybe it will make their day and make them smile. Because if I do nothing else in this life, let me at least leave behind a smile.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your November Winning the Lottery essay being selected as a finalist in the running for our first place essay!

We are in the process of voting on the top essay, and will notify all finalists with a follow up message by December 23rd.

You can check this page after December 31st 2015 for all the writing contest results::
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Monday, December 7, 2015 7:58:55 PM
Rate this:
Comment by admin

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your November Winning the Lottery essay being selected our first place essay!

We will be contacting you via your registration email for prize details.

You can check this page after December 31st 2015 for all the writing contest results::
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2015 11:15:15 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Rachel Nipp

Yay, thank you so much! Let me know if I should have already gotten the email; I might have missed it.
Posted: Monday, January 4, 2016 7:52:58 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy