Environmental Issues: Life On Pots

David_Hinolan
"How bad?"

I asked myself amidst the warm breeze of a Friday afternoon last summer during our Ecology Camp for Philosophy 101. It was a foolish attempt knowing that the answer radiates from the severe heat accompanied by the air-murdering stains of smog that day. As our guest speaker played an informative video about the present shape of our planet, suddenly the answer became clearer. Our mother planet wasn't in a bad condition—she's dying!

On the video were various motions: beautiful towering valleys carpeted by splendid grasses that crumble on heavy downpours; Philippine whale sharks end up dying on seashores as they've mistakenly recognized floating plastic garbage for food; adorable ice creatures like polar bears and penguins lose their abode and trees on jungles defenselessly die with every roaring of the chainsaws. I intently watched the further parts and squeaked out of fear. It alarmed me that these constant problems can eventually lead to our planet's destruction. Sadly, this wasn't merely an ordinary video clip because what I was seeing was reality, where you, I and everyone are part of.

One of the major reasons of the calamities generated by our environment is the increasing consumption of trees and rapid deforestation. I believe that many of us have failed to recall that nature is a long chain of life and we greatly rely all our needs to them. And losing them can mean losing the human race.
The Ecology Camp left us with small pots of seedlings which of course we paid for. I just realized that this huge environmental issue can never be immediately remedied yet, with constant small steps, it might. The small pots I received filled up the spaces of my grandmother's garden which were watered daily. Obviously, they haven't cooled "global warming" down, prevented landslides on stormy days or made the air a cleaner thing to breathe.

Months drifted by and I asked myself again. "How bad?"

For a moment I was silent. Not because I have failed but rather I was amazed that my fear of destruction became an inspiration for me to be aware of our planet's situation. Reasonably, we can never close down factories that pollute our air, take away the licenses of companies that form wild trees into furniture or oblige everyone to ride bicycles instead of cars. However, I hope that these will never be the reasons for us to witness our mother planet slowly morphing into a barren form of rough terrain. Recently, although I wasn't able to take good care of the seedlings due to my busy schedule at college, I was giddy about them. Because months went by and I saw their first few leaves sprout.

These saplings I had are symbols of hope and reality. Hope for a greener planet. And reality that life can sprout even on small clay containers. I say, "Life on pots".

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Environmental Issues essay being chosen as one of our finalists in the running for 1st place for our October 2015 teen writing competition. Be proud of your accomplishment!

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners, and naming the 1st place winner from the narrowed field.

We will post all winning essay results by November 30th. You can check this page for the results after November 30th:

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment.

Posted: Monday, November 9, 2015 7:10:12 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your October Environmental Issues essay being selected as our first place teen essay!

We will be contacting you via your registration email for your prize details.

You can check this page after November 30th 2015 for all the writing contest results::

Posted: Friday, November 20, 2015 8:54:02 PM