STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Teacher Appreciation: Running towards the sun

RedFox
Teachers don’t usually go beyond what is in their job description. My teacher however, went beyond the stars.

I was young, so it etched into my mind forever. I know that if she hadn't picked our school to teach, I wouldn't have reached where I’d gotten today. I was lonely and didn’t get on with anyone, not because I didn’t want to or try, they just refused to accept me. However, in year three of primary school, I got a new teacher. She specialized in art and noticed how I would always be alone. Not wanting any child to be lonely, knowing the negative effects it can cause, she stepped in despite my initial reluctance.
Several sites reveal that loneliness can make people fall apart, “mentally and even physically.” Loneliness can have long lasting effects on people, such as depression.

My primary school had a small library, though we only went during a lesson. However my teacher allowed me to go during breaks, so I had somewhere to go. I no longer felt like a dying animal being watched by a vulture. Soon it caught on where I was going and some complained. However, they were told to explain why they wanted to be allowed access. Many didn’t bother or show up more than once. Only a two people kept showing up and they soon became my best friends. Those two people, who were in the other year 3 class, realized they didn’t a reason to avoid me. They stayed and got to know me, as I learnt to not be lonely. After the teacher noticed me gaining a couple of friends she allowed our small, but closely knit group to draw in the class during breaks. Like a rose, my imagination blossomed. Dancing as it grew, I created a wall to protect it from harm again.

My teacher was the cause of my love of reading. It was an escapism from the loneliness, inescapable in the confinements of school. I also made real friends and we are still friends now. I found ways to not feel lonely and I use them today. I look back on when I feared of being alone, and I remember what she taught me. I couldn't hide forever and I had to find a way out myself, but someone was always there to guide me. She told me that, “the minds creates barriers that seem unbreakable, but are held by the weakest of seals.” I learnt the “mind is a powerful thing that needs taken care of.” Humans are social creatures, we can’t survive without others. I learnt that if they didn’t come to me I would find them myself, even if I was blind to what I was searching for.

This teacher helped me improve my life nearly ten years ago, it had a huge impact in my life. Without her, I wouldn't have been able to cope and I wouldn't be the same person. I might not even be here.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy