Teacher Appreciation: Running towards the sun

RedFox
Teachers don’t usually go beyond what is in their job description. My teacher however, went beyond the stars.

I was young, so it etched into my mind forever. I know that if she hadn't picked our school to teach, I wouldn't have reached where I’d gotten today. I was lonely and didn’t get on with anyone, not because I didn’t want to or try, they just refused to accept me. However, in year three of primary school, I got a new teacher. She specialized in art and noticed how I would always be alone. Not wanting any child to be lonely, knowing the negative effects it can cause, she stepped in despite my initial reluctance.
Several sites reveal that loneliness can make people fall apart, “mentally and even physically.” Loneliness can have long lasting effects on people, such as depression.

My primary school had a small library, though we only went during a lesson. However my teacher allowed me to go during breaks, so I had somewhere to go. I no longer felt like a dying animal being watched by a vulture. Soon it caught on where I was going and some complained. However, they were told to explain why they wanted to be allowed access. Many didn’t bother or show up more than once. Only a two people kept showing up and they soon became my best friends. Those two people, who were in the other year 3 class, realized they didn’t a reason to avoid me. They stayed and got to know me, as I learnt to not be lonely. After the teacher noticed me gaining a couple of friends she allowed our small, but closely knit group to draw in the class during breaks. Like a rose, my imagination blossomed. Dancing as it grew, I created a wall to protect it from harm again.

My teacher was the cause of my love of reading. It was an escapism from the loneliness, inescapable in the confinements of school. I also made real friends and we are still friends now. I found ways to not feel lonely and I use them today. I look back on when I feared of being alone, and I remember what she taught me. I couldn't hide forever and I had to find a way out myself, but someone was always there to guide me. She told me that, “the minds creates barriers that seem unbreakable, but are held by the weakest of seals.” I learnt the “mind is a powerful thing that needs taken care of.” Humans are social creatures, we can’t survive without others. I learnt that if they didn’t come to me I would find them myself, even if I was blind to what I was searching for.

This teacher helped me improve my life nearly ten years ago, it had a huge impact in my life. Without her, I wouldn't have been able to cope and I wouldn't be the same person. I might not even be here.