Teacher Appreciation: My Second Soul

arvedui
In my home country of Ukraine, I have been studying English from the age of ten. I studied English in middle school. I studied English in high school. I studied English by myself. I attended English courses, too. However, my English skills were mediocre. The more I studied, the less I knew. I froze at the intermediate level and could not move forward. I decided the only way to really improve my English skills was to study the language in an English environment. That's how I ended up in the USA.
During my first month of study, I studied hard and obtained good grades, but I didn’t see substantial progress in my English skills. I had second thoughts about my relocation to the USA and was thinking about possibly returning to my home country. I decided to speak to Mrs. Oden, my English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) instructor, about perhaps dropping the classes. I told her about all my concerns.
“Your progress is evident to me even after one month of study,” said Mrs. Oden. “It may be not immediately visible to you, but at the end of the semester you will notice it, too. Confucius said, ‘It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop.’ So try your best, and your progress will be plain for you to see in time.”
I followed her advice. Now, I read novels in English. My speaking, listening, and writing have largely improved, too. I even won an essay contest in my college! And I fell in love with English.
In fact, it was inevitable. When a teacher loves his or her subject, one has to be heartless not to fall in love with it, too. Moreover, Mrs. Oden is a highly skilled instructor; she is respectful and unselfish. She says that teaching ESOL students is the best job she can ever imagine. I readily believe her.
When I look at Mrs. Oden, I understand why the USA is so prosperous and successful country. Almost everybody in the world may know George Washington, Martin Luther King, Jr., or Abraham Lincoln, but there are millions of unsung heroes that made and make this country what it is. Mrs. Oden is definitely among them.
Charles the Great said, “To have a second language is to possess a second soul.” I want to thank Mrs. Oden for giving me a second soul.