Animals: Arya--Smart, Sassy and Loves Knives

KaitMags
I was kneeling on my kitchen floor, calling to my dog, asking her, “Arya! Bring me the pheasant!” She’s a ‘big small dog’ as my brother likes to put it, a tri color English Cocker Spaniel. She would love to show off her white body with her large irregular black spots and her spattering of brown on her muzzle- as along as you paid her in compliments. She’s about twenty-five pounds and just small enough that you can still pick her up and flip her on her back like a baby. And she’s one feisty baby! That day, in the kitchen, my mom looked over at Arya and me. Arya was sitting across from me, staring silently, the toy between her paws. Her short tail wasn’t wagging, a rare occurrence. In fact, usually her tail wags so fast her whole back wiggles and when she lies on the couch, it sounds like machine gun beating out its bullets. Instead, she stared at me with silent gray judgment. My mom broke the lull, informing me that the toy was in fact, not a pheasant- it was a quail. I raised my eyebrow at this distinction and apologized for failing at fowl recognition. Turning back to my stubborn dog, I called again, “Arya! Bring me the quail!” And with that, she promptly stood up and trotted over to me. Turning to my brother standing behind me, I asked, “Did I just get sassed by our dog?”

And that hasn’t been the least of our stories about Arya. We named her after George RR Martin’s spitfire character and she has lived up the name. She even tried to claim her own Needle. After my brother’s final return home from college, she went through the unsorted boxes, finding one in the far back. Then she apparently managed to pull out a knife from the kitchen set and leave it on a dog bed. I’m not sure if she got bored or left it as a warning, but she definitely defies the standards of normal troublemaking. Though it might just be revenge for a tendency of fitting her into cabinets, washing machines and refrigerator. My brother and I never had a small dog before so putting her in such places became a running joke! But Arya never fails to entertain or stay mad, instead being the most photogenic dog and posing for photos around the yard. Unless she’s sleeping, and then she contorts herself in ways unimaginable, like a model without makeup. Her newest hobby is watching television, although I’ll admit her preference is videos of dogs. She gets excited when she sees a silver laptop, her favorite toy. Instead of worrying about teenagers and their technology, my family needs to worry about their dog! But she’ll watch for hours, staring at the screen. She’s also the dog that comes up and licks your tears away (or perhaps lies on your chest and tries to suffocate you). She gives laughter and comfort- a true friend.