STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Animals: A Relational Ambiguity

jennie.stephenson.79

The language, terms, and images humans use to portray our interactions with those beings we deem as 'other' often structure our unconscious systems in regards to their value. While the apparent intellectual flowering of eighteenth and nineteenth century Europe is venerated in historical texts as the age of scientific 'enlightenment,' this trump card of apparent rationalism also served to reduce our conception of most creatures inhabiting the earth to voiceless automatons.

The subversive cultural suspicions attached to these 'dumb beasts' in earlier eras were now woven into new pseudo-scientific classification systems that dictated 'higher' and 'lower' animals in the "great chain of being." The tendency to overestimate our own superiority in tragic misinterpretations of biblical dominion (in the religious sphere) and our desperate, but ever diminishing claims of traits unique to our own kind (in academic research) are the subversive links in the chain persisting to the present day.

Our mental schema thus rank 'wolf' as villain and dog as 'friend,' one worthy of a billion-fold pet product industry and the other still hunted with a frighteningly cold vengeance throughout the globe. The troubling ecological uncertainties confronting us in a decade of mass extinctions calls for reform in how we think, and most of all act, toward those lupine shadows; they howl not in celebration of savage blood-lust, but maybe in mourning for their fractured status, as ghosts of our past mistakes.

In my own state, only a few more than 600 wolves cling to existence: they dwell in ecosystems which are, in turn, threatened by logging, mining, and gas and oil exploration. People love romanticized fantasies of the 'wild,' of pristine areas that we partition for our own benefit and invade or neglect as we want. However, we retroactively fume when the wolves in that wilderness stray beyond the boundaries we set out for them, lines they do not acknowledge but that we punish them for crossing. Even though these wolf families tread in niches unknown to me, I would never try to breach this gap in my natural experience by forcing an interaction through the bars of a cage.

I feel a tinge of regret that I have never seen a wolf in one of those patchwork vestiges of forest - a moment I miss because it might never happen. The closest approximation of such an encounter is the dog in my living room, but his limpid eyes gaze at me with undoubted adoration, not the wariness characteristic of his distantly related and much-ostracized American brethren. .

Even still, for now it is enough for me to imagine those wolves north of here, their babies tumbling out of secreted dens and blinking in wonder at the light; to defend their legal protection against volatile political sentiment; to advocate for their preservation in territory they wandered so long before we came. And to enjoy the thump of my own dog's tail on the floor and his happy grunt as he leans into my fingers scratching the velvet of his ear.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy