Animals: They Have Choices

David_Hinolan
It was a hot summer weekend while I'm watching a television program which talks about wildlife.

For a 10 year-old kid at that time, nothing's more heart-melting in seeing sceneries of beautiful faunas enjoying their belongingness to nature. Like tall slender graceful giraffes sailing like winds above the green and brown grasses of Africa; and those enormous dichromatic pandas, swinging from one bamboo to another—these are perfect pictures of freedom. The reporter donned in her outfit said that the animals are happier in the wild. For that reason, it made me think twice about those animals at the zoo, confined behind the steel bars.

What about them? Are they happy with the situation they are fixated in? Those were the questions and sad thoughts that kept lingering on as years have gone by. I know that animals on zoos have been purposely captured and relocated at the city for educational purposes—so that students of different levels may get the chance to learn the patterns of their lives. Yet I still believe that, if given the chance, city animals should be freed and researchers are the ones who should cope-up—better say, improvise technologies that would preserve learning which won't cost animal freedom.

During dinnertime, I asked mother's opinion about the animals in the zoo. She just smiled and
left me unanswered. The following day was a surprise when I found myself having a tour at the local zoo, although it was small and didn't have numerous specie. There were monkeys howling each time people would pass by their wide cage, some were birds of beautiful plumage fashioning their bright-colored feathers, and scary beasts like lions and crocodiles that remained silent and motionless. Despite the steel bars that kept them from where they are—the feint glow in their eyes simply told me that they are at peace.

Before sun sets to bed, as we left the zoo I felt quite happy. Mother was driving our way home with a 14 year-old teen, who now has a broader perspective of freedom after seeing the real state in the zoo. The drive was silent not until mother suddenly asked me about what I learned from the visit and the zookeeper.

Unsure of my epiphanies, still I managed to have a retort.

"I learned that the animals are happy and they seem contented with the environment they have. Also, I realized that freedom isn't letting the animals grope in the nature rather it is giving them options where to live. Because although they are animals, they have choices and that is genuine freedom. Perhaps, this is how we should love them."

Mother suddenly smiled—radiating satisfaction. Just as then, when we were about to go down, I added, "Oh, the zoo also accepts donations from people."

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Pet / Animal story being chosen as 1 of the 10 essays in the running for 1st place for our April 2015 teen writing competition. Be proud of your accomplishment. We had over 100 essays submitted for April’s contest.

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners, and naming the 1st place winner from the narrowed field.

We will post all winning essay results by May 31st. You can check this page for the results after May 31st:

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment.

Posted: Friday, May 8, 2015 6:50:11 PM
Comment by David_Hinolan

Yay' To God be the Glory!
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2015 10:31:01 AM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your April 2015 Animal / Pet Story being selected as a runner up in our teen writing contest.

Posted: Monday, May 18, 2015 7:46:53 PM
Comment by David_Hinolan

Thanks. :))
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2015 4:15:37 AM

We wanted to let you know that our April 2015 Pet Stories Teen Trend Report is complete. In the report, we have compiled the statistics from our teen survey and come up with themes based on the submitted essays.

If you would like to view the teen trend report, here is the link:
http://www.stageoflife.com/StageHighSchool/TeensandPets.aspx

Thanks again for sharing your story with the world!

- Rebecca
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:46:01 PM