STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Animals: The True Heart of a Person

Urbana
Growing up with a veterinarian and a dog breeder for parents, I have come to rely on the presence of animals in my life. I still remember being four years old, pointing to one of the newly birthed puppies, and stating with the utmost certainty that that was my puppy. Since this new liter had been born near Christmas time, I went around calling her “my Christmas puppy”. When my parents finally told me that we were actually going to keep my chosen puppy, I could not contain the excitement that filled me. We decided on the name Noel, since my parents refused to yell Audrey’s Christmas puppy out the door.
After the rest of the liter found new homes, I was inseparable from Noel. I often used her as a pillow while reading books and, after she got older, she slept in bed with me every night. Noel was the best friend any child could hope to grow up with. She was the most kind hearted laid back dog, but if anyone got between me and her, she would immediately go into protective momma dog mode.
As the years went on and I grew up, I maintained my close relationship with Noel. When I went through a depressive state in middle school, she was the one I cried on. Noel could always sense when I was upset. She often would rest her head in my lap or on the bed to try and comfort me. Without Noel, I do not think I could have gotten through those rough school years.
Noel was 16 years old when I headed off to college. My parents were so happy that she was able to see me through high school. But dogs only have so long on this Earth. I remember my mother’s phone call like it was yesterday. She told me that Noel had become very sick and was not eating or moving much anymore. I had to steady myself as I tried to contain the wave of emotion that ran through me. My mother continued on saying that my dad was going to perform a surgery on her to see if he could fix the problem. If only it were that easy.
That week was one of the hardest for me to get through. I commuted almost three hours every day so that I could see her. Every time I walked through the door and into the living room where she was propped up, her head would immediately lift and her tail would give a slight wag. Every time I saw her I thanked her for being the best friend and companion a girl could ask for, and when the time came for her to move on I prayed that she would be waiting for me. Noel truly was, and is, a part of my heart and soul. She was my family, my confidant, and now she is my guardian angel watch dog.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy