Animals: The True Heart of a Person

Urbana
Growing up with a veterinarian and a dog breeder for parents, I have come to rely on the presence of animals in my life. I still remember being four years old, pointing to one of the newly birthed puppies, and stating with the utmost certainty that that was my puppy. Since this new liter had been born near Christmas time, I went around calling her “my Christmas puppy”. When my parents finally told me that we were actually going to keep my chosen puppy, I could not contain the excitement that filled me. We decided on the name Noel, since my parents refused to yell Audrey’s Christmas puppy out the door.
After the rest of the liter found new homes, I was inseparable from Noel. I often used her as a pillow while reading books and, after she got older, she slept in bed with me every night. Noel was the best friend any child could hope to grow up with. She was the most kind hearted laid back dog, but if anyone got between me and her, she would immediately go into protective momma dog mode.
As the years went on and I grew up, I maintained my close relationship with Noel. When I went through a depressive state in middle school, she was the one I cried on. Noel could always sense when I was upset. She often would rest her head in my lap or on the bed to try and comfort me. Without Noel, I do not think I could have gotten through those rough school years.
Noel was 16 years old when I headed off to college. My parents were so happy that she was able to see me through high school. But dogs only have so long on this Earth. I remember my mother’s phone call like it was yesterday. She told me that Noel had become very sick and was not eating or moving much anymore. I had to steady myself as I tried to contain the wave of emotion that ran through me. My mother continued on saying that my dad was going to perform a surgery on her to see if he could fix the problem. If only it were that easy.
That week was one of the hardest for me to get through. I commuted almost three hours every day so that I could see her. Every time I walked through the door and into the living room where she was propped up, her head would immediately lift and her tail would give a slight wag. Every time I saw her I thanked her for being the best friend and companion a girl could ask for, and when the time came for her to move on I prayed that she would be waiting for me. Noel truly was, and is, a part of my heart and soul. She was my family, my confidant, and now she is my guardian angel watch dog.